Fisher and Paykel ketch

Minerva

Visit site
Fisher&Paykel were in the 89/90 race, but it was won by steinlager.

Looks like a hoot to sail though!

Frogmogman

Visit site
Anyone else remember this classic? Winner of the 1989/90 Whitbread.

Fab restoration job, looks great. Didn't even mind getting held up by them getting splashed in the travel hoist dock last week! Got a good look then. Photo is today.

View attachment 173087
I wanted to buy a Fisher & Paykel two drawer dishwasher when we did our kitchen, but they don’t have a distributor in France, so I decided against it. As one of the appliances that tend to need repairing, it seemed a bit nuts to bring one from the UK to a country with no after sales service.

A shame, really, as the design seemed so perfect for our needs, but I did wonder at the time how much of my enthusiasm for the idea was driven by my subliminal love of the Whitbread boat…

Bobc

Visit site
That was Grant Dalton's boat (he who is now the CEO of the NZ Americas Cup team). Came a close second to Pete Blake in Steinlager.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Anyone else remember this classic? Winner of the 1989/90 Whitbread.

Fab restoration job, looks great. Didn't even mind getting held up by them getting splashed in the travel hoist dock last week! Got a good look then. Photo is today.

View attachment 173087
Was she the one who sailed through the spectator fleet at one of the starts and lost her mizzen mast in a collision with an anchor boat?

capnsensible

Visit site
Found this

In 1989 - 90 the figures stayed low. First was Fisher and Paykel under
Grant Dalton to lose the mizzenmast on the way to Punta del Este in
Uruguay. The most spectacular dismasting happened at the restart in
Auckland when The Card’s mizzenmast hooked the masthead of a 28ft cruising
boat and pulled her horizontal, and ripping the mizzenmast out of the boat
within hours of the start. It was salvaged by a third party and later
shipped to Punta. The Card sailed on as a sloop.

Frogmogman

Visit site
The Card was another Bruce Farr ketch.

Sadly she ended up on the rocks in the Whitsundays sone years ago.

Minerva

Visit site
Martella was another maxi in the 1989 race. Last saw her on the naughty dock in the Azores 5 years ago somewhat neglected and using tractor tyres as fenders. Apparently been confiscated when caught being used to smuggle drugs.

jlavery

Visit site
Martella was another maxi in the 1989 race. Last saw her on the naughty dock in the Azores 5 years ago somewhat neglected and using tractor tyres as fenders. Apparently been confiscated when caught being used to smuggle drugs.
I forgot Martela was salvaged - she lost her keel after rounding Cape Horn.

Watching the Maiden documentary recently, when the Maiden crew are getting stressed about water in the bilge, you can understand their concern. Another competitor's just lost their keel, and they've got water coming in...

E39mad

Visit site
Saw F&P cross the line in Southampton - half an hour after Steinlager which had line honours on every leg. They looked rather peeved to have been pipped again to the post. I have a picture of it somewhere crossing the line but not on my PC. IIRC Steinlager had a fractional main mast whereas F&P had a masthead forestay. Also IRRC the Card was originally a sloop but the hull lengthened and the ketch rig added.

Steinlager.jpg