First Yacht Survey HELP!

G

Most surveyors wouldn't know how to --- many only report what they read and cannot explain properly what it means ....

Sorry but I'm a Surveyor in my 'other-work' and have scant regard for many of the so-called professionals and Associations advertised to Yotties !!

G

Web sites with Osmosis

Most sites that give 'stories' about Osmosis have great value, but then let themselves down by having areas of 'questionable' info.

I have yet to find the real definitive details ... and can only advise that one of the best that I have found is via the Tramex Skipper Distributor ... who produces a complete file on it - including Tramex results etc.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Finally

have just spoken to a Bennytoe expert who values it at £10-£12k, very concerned at moisture readings, est £3-4k repair. revised valuation £8kish.

Commented that meters arecalibrtated regularly. Makes sense to cover their PI insurance I would have thought.

Sorry, but this post has got my interest. You can always walk away after your test sail.

No more, am of to the Omshterrdom boot shoo:))

airbubble

Visit site
Re: First Yacht Survey update

I agree with your comments. It's time most of these expostmanPat cowboys get sued for misconduct. At first I didnot want to go into the old wet hull / hydrolysis discussion again as in normal day life i get that three times a week already.
To all yotties : update your own knowledge on the product that you're trusting your families life to.
To all other surveyors: finally throw away that sovereign meter, it is a SURFACE measuring tool where you want to know what's going on INSIDE. There are much better tools available that suit todays knowledge and needs far better.

No, I am not employed by a moisture meter manufacturer.

claymore

Visit site
So what do you think then? (In answer to the original question?)
Thats what happens when you don't read in flat mode
apologies!! - 15K sounds a lot to me - nearer 12 perhaps?
regards
Claymore<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by claymore on 07/09/2002 12:14 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: First Yacht Survey update

There in lies the problem .....

The Soveriegn ... I wasn't actually going to name it, but seeing as you've done that for me .... yes it is a shallow depth instrument and survives because basically 2 reasons ....

Some misguidance in the old days when literally no competitor was available and 2) its easier to get past the client than having to explain the greater depth readings of others such as the Tramex etc.

I can give examples of where one 'surveyor' has cried ... Osmosis and then when I've been called in for 2nd-opinion ... its actually something else ... such as one boat where the hatch was ripped off in bad weather and the cabin was flooded. This of course saturated the end grain of the internal bulkheads etc. I was able to acuurately draw the bulkhead lines on the OUTSIDE of the hull to illustrate this to the owner etc. OK this example does include that the surveyor had used a better instrument - but he failed to interpret its readings - just assuming the dreaded Pox. MY suspicions were raised when I found great variance in the readings close together ..... and then actually tracing the 'wet-lines' !!

Buts let not start a meter argument .... as many have spent a good deal of money on them !! I personally have 2 different meters ... one based on Capacitance, the other RF - giving me best of both worlds ..... Both are capable of being slid across the moulding as well as spot testing.