First Time Oregon Boat-owner

viprit

Visit site
Bought a 2018 Sea Ray SPX 210.

Will be exploring Oregon’s and Washington’s rivers and lakes this summer with my family.

Can’t wait, we’re super pumped.

Any tips for first time boat owners? Especially in the region?

I really want to take good care of my boat and trailer, drive safe, have fun and get good at boating.

Momac

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
I can't offer any local knowledge.
As a novice the main things to remember is to go slow when near other boats , don't feel rushed when coming into or leaving a mooring and never use engine power to get out of trouble.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I don't think we have many people from the US on here I'm afraid for local knowledge. It tends to be mostly European based posts / information. The magazine who host the forum are UK based.

For local advice you might be better off trying to find groups or clubs based specifically in that area.

Henry :)

AndieMac

Visit site
Bought a 2018 Sea Ray SPX 210.

Will be exploring Oregon’s and Washington’s rivers and lakes this summer with my family.

Can’t wait, we’re super pumped.

Any tips for first time boat owners? Especially in the region?

I really want to take good care of my boat and trailer, drive safe, have fun and get good at boating.

Hi and welcome.
As new boaters, take a bit of time to get some training in boat handling, so you can understand the different effects of weather and tide and how this relates to the boat etc.
You will also need to gain confidence in handling so your crew feels comfortable, an important factor if you want them to go back out with you again.
Learn to be obsessive about engine, drive and trailer maintenance, double check/secure everything before road departures.
As mentioned previously, be mindful of the effect your boat wash etc is having on other boaters, especially while moored.

Then go and enjoy yourself :)

PilotWolf

Visit site
I'm in California and I know things differ state to state but the USCG are usually pretty hot on mixing alcohol and boats. Here Baywatch can also cite you for things liking speeding in harbors and rivers.

Learn the rules of the road - at least the basics!

You must have a life jacket onboard for everyone, children under a certain age MUST where one at all times.

Also as I'm sure you're aware but the military get very twitchy if you get to close to any of their assets .

W.

Bouba

Visit site
Welcome, I started my boat ownership twenty years ago on a river with a Sea Ray so I have a soft spot for them. Others here did also and there’s a few Sea Ray owners on the forum, so I think you can get plenty of advice here. Is it an inboard or outboard?