First time crossing a border by sea since Brexit…..

Pavalijo

Visit site
We arrived in Northern Spain in 2018 and the boat has been there since.

This year we will head down the coast to Portugal. Pre-Brexit we didn’t have to check out of France and customs officers came to us when we arrived in Spain (they arrived within 10 minutes of arriving, before we even checked in to the marina, must have been watching our progress across Biscay via AIS!)

I haven’t seen any discussion on checking out and in when when moving between EU and/or Schengen Zone countries. Do I need to do this now or not? Do I need to fly the Q flag after arriving before checking in?

TIA

Tranona

Visit site
Your boat is now considered EU VAT paid so has free movement within the EU. You however if you are UK citizens will no longer have free movement but will need to comply with third country Schengen rules so will need to check in and out to keep track of your 90/180 days in the EU.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Your boat is now considered EU VAT paid so has free movement within the EU. You however if you are UK citizens will no longer have free movement but will need to comply with third country Schengen rules so will need to check in and out to keep track of your 90/180 days in the EU.
We will be arriving and leaving by air, so checking in and out of Schengen is taken care of for us. I know when we cross the Portuguese border by car that we don't need to check ourselves out of Spain and in to Portugal. I’m just checking whether the rules are different when taking the boat across the border.
As I said, I haven’t seen any discussion on this so suspect I don’t need such formalities - but wanted to be certain.

V1701

Visit site
Having documented proof that your boat was in the EU at midnight on 31/12/2020 would be good, i.e. a copy of your berthing contract/receipt for that time, assuming you had one, in case you're asked. No idea how likely that is but it's what gives your boat it's EU VAT paid status...

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We will be arriving and leaving by air, so checking in and out of Schengen is taken care of for us. I know when we cross the Portuguese border by car that we don't need to check ourselves out of Spain and in to Portugal. I’m just checking whether the rules are different when taking the boat across the border.
As I said, I haven’t seen any discussion on this so suspect I don’t need such formalities - but wanted to be certain.

Folks moving across internal Schengen borders say they just carry on as they've always done, no need to check out/in at every border. If exiting Schengen to Gib or Morocco, be sure to check out and stop the clock.

syvictoria

Visit site
Folks moving across internal Schengen borders say they just carry on as they've always done, no need to check out/in at every border. If exiting Schengen to Gib or Morocco, be sure to check out and stop the clock.

But that surely is the point. The Schengen area has no internal borders.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
But that surely is the point. The Schengen area has no internal borders.

We've had two Covid years with little cross border boat movement so post Brexit travel still not the norm for majority, hence the OP's question. Only difference I've found so far crossing to/fro by road is to carry vaccination cert. Our boat hasn't moved across border for last two years but others we meet have found no changes.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Thanks all,
I have my boatyard presence on B day confirmed with invoice and a letter from the boatyard.
I am pleased to hear that I don’t have to worry about checking out and in - until we get to Gib to stop the 90 day clock, but at the pace we move that’s at least a couple of years away!

Beneteau381

Visit site
I sailed from Albufeira to Culatra, no checks there! Then on to Ayamonte. Called in, allocated a berth as usual, next day, ships papers, passports and insurance presented to lady in the office. No different from any of my visits over the last few years. Photo copied them , paid my fees, thank you v much. Stayed a few days extra, no probs she said, paid for two more days then left early the next morning for Culatra, no checks there ? Then on to Albufeira, berthed in my berth and that was that. No checking, nothing. Business as usual.