First sailing boat

rwoofer

Visit site
I'm actually being serious, but perhaps tinged with a bit of the reaction to the it's got to be slow/traditional/and cope with a gale brigade.

I know Magnum is big (and I'm 6ft 6 myself) and know that many dinghies/boats etc can be too cramped. I also think that for someone coming from powerboats, a modern simple fast boat is likely to get him hooked quicker (that is how I got my non-sailing wife hooked).

You can always reduce the sail area by reefing if things get lively, although in the 707 fleet no-one reefed even when it gusted up to 35knots (that's racing for you).
I also used to sail my hunter 707 singlehanded without any problem.

The suggestion of a Laser Stratos, Hawk is probably a better compromise, but from Magnum's posts elsewhere I expect he is a fast learner and therefore might be up for the challenge/reward of a quicker boat.

Lakesailor

Visit site
With you there. I got rid of a little bilge keeler as it just wasn't quick and you could measure leeway in knots.
I don't make passages and only go out for a sail if I'm going to enjoy myself.
I did pass up a couple of micro-tonners as I sail single handed a lot and they do keep falling over on the lake. On the other hand the little fin keeler I have is designed to plane, so it's stable and nippy.
I agree about creating enough interest to get hooked. The drascombe is an acquired taste, and one which I don't think I could persevere with.

cookie

Visit site
What about a Soling 26 footer?
Keel boat, with great pedigree

Good simple boat, but goes really well if sailed properly.
great start great fun??

Boatmik

www.storerboatplans.com
Welcome to the sailing world!!! (soon!)

A good way to get started is to pick up a second hand racing dinghy.

Find one that has been raced recently-it will still work well

Make sure the sails are OK - these are expensive to replace so you want to find a boat with OK sails so you can sell it with the same set after a year or two.

Talk with local sailors to find out what ones are stable enough for beginners. Local sailing clubs with small boat divisions are often very helpful and may have lists of boats for sale too.

Often the more common boats have a Class Association which may have a list of secondhand boats.

Ask the prospective vendor to take you out for a sail before the sale. Everything should go together easily on the shore and wor OK afloat. The vendor should appear like they know what they are doing (indicates the boat will be in good operating condition)

The main trick is about the price range. Not too expensive and not too cheap. A boat that is expensive for its type will be devalue. A boat that is too cheap will have breakages and cost money.

Maybe something from as small and simple as a Mirror Dinghy to something in the 14ft range for about 500 - 800 sterling (just translating from the situation in Australia - some locals may have a better idea). The beauty is that when you go to sell it you will get almost the same money back.

And with popular classes it ensures that you will be able to sell the boat.

If you really want to get a grasp of the sailing thing consider getting some lessons and/or racing the boat for a couple of years. Great way to learn quickly.

Best Regards
Michael web page

Lakesailor

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO anything with a fixed keel would be too much hassle to launch off a trailor.

[/ QUOTE ] Quite agree. I think we were engaging in a bit of thread drift.

Ranger

Visit site
Surely the ideal boat is one of these Magnum 21! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't capsize and 20 knots under sail. Can motor as well.

(No connection just interested in one myself.)