First liveaboard boat - Mcwester 32?

bpbpbp

Visit site
Hi,

I'm researching my first liveaboard, which will be my second boat ever owned after learning the basics on a Leisure 23.
I want to sail cross channel in between work contracts eventually, but plan to spend a year sorting the boat first at a local mooring.
I'd love a Contessa, Nicholson, or other famed beauty with great sailing ability, but the reality is at age 44 and 6'3 tall I believe I will soon enough want a bit more room.

A Mcwester 32 owner tells me their fin keel sails really well, and I've seen one for sale that's in good condition for £5k and the accommodation is large. It also has a fixed sprayhood and full cockpit tent. A Halcyon 27 is also available for that price, but seems a fair bit smaller inside.

I thought I would ask here if I should consider any alternatives around that price, before committing to view it.
Thanks

Tranona

Visit site
This one here? yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/macwester-malin-for-sale/758494

at this sort of price level you can only really expect a "project" in the sense that it will need a lot of work before any serious cruising. However for a potential liveaboard it is far better than anything at 27', particularly old style like a Halcyon. What is acceptable for living depends on your expectations. A Halcyon is like a boy scout tent and a Macwester Wight or Malin more like a Sprite caravan (that sails)

ridgy

Visit site
Living on a Halcyon 27...just no. The Mac 32...sails really well would be an optimistic statement but if your living on it then comfort is the only consideration at that price. Preferably it works too.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I knew someone who lived on a Macwester 32. Seemed a good choice for that purpose, as it was spacious for the money. The layout seemed to me practical (as boats go) for that purpose.

He sailed it regularly and was very happy with the performance. (I have a feeling it was a bilge-keeler, but can't remember for sure.) I've sailed it and it seemed fine to me. It's no greyhound under sail, but few greyhounds would make good live-aboards. His boat had been sailed to the Med and back prior to his ownership, too, so definitely a practicable and enjoyable sailing cruiser.

Definitely a better choice than a Halcyon 27 for that purpose, all things being equal, but of course general condition is important and unlikely to be great at that price, and you should budget for having to spend significant money (and time) to deal with issues. The condition of the engine is especially important, because replacing it would cost more than the price of the boat.

Regardless of the boat, living aboard in the UK, especially if you have to earn a living, will require a major change in lifestyle and mindset from living ashore.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Apart from the relative price for comfort and "liveability" especially given the 6'3" hight of the OP a Vancouver 27 would be better than any of the mentioned boats.

V1701

Visit site
FWIW as a 50 odd year old I spent 2 years living on an Albin Vega (27) but I only got away with it because I'm 5'7" so sould stand (just) in the saloon. It was camping though & I was in a marina with good facilities. If that's all you have to spend go for the Macwester for sure, the semi enclosed cockpit will be a godsend in the UK. The engine is probably original, standing rigging likely "out of date", sails may or may not be ok but as a starting point, for £5k, I think you will struggle to find anything better for your purpose and I wish you the best of luck...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Having looked at the Macwester ( not a boat I am familiar with) as a cheap livaboard with an extension to close of the cockpit I doubt you will beat it, it does seem very cheap though and as Traona writes will almost certainly need more spent on it to move from Scotland to Devon.

bpbpbp

Visit site
FWIW as a 50 odd year old I spent 2 years living on an Albin Vega (27) but I only got away with it because I'm 5'7" so sould stand (just) in the saloon. It was camping though & I was in a marina with good facilities. If that's all you have to spend go for the Macwester for sure, the semi enclosed cockpit will be a godsend in the UK. The engine is probably original, standing rigging likely "out of date", sails may or may not be ok but as a starting point, for £5k, I think you will struggle to find anything better for your purpose and I wish you the best of luck...
Thank you that is really helpful :)

bpbpbp

Visit site
Having looked at the Macwester ( not a boat I am familiar with) as a cheap livaboard with an extension to close of the cockpit I doubt you will beat it, it does seem very cheap though and as Traona writes will almost certainly need more spent on it to move from Scotland to Devon.
Yes I expect so :(
I’ve written to the owner for more information 👍