First Boat recommendations

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
This must be a regularly repeated thread but, since I can't find anything in the search, I'll ask for myself.

I've sailed on chartered boats for a while now and quite fancy the idea of having something of my own so I don't have to go through hoops every time I fancy a sail.

I like the idea of having something around 25' long that will sit on mud (because I don't fancy paying loads of money for a marina berth and haven't got anywhere to store a trailer sailer)

By and large it will probably be my wife and I sailing it, occasionally with my teenage son, but it would be nice if it was spacious enough to have friends on for the occasional weekend.

Use would generally be pottering around the Solent and the South Coast, but it would be nice to think it would get us to Europe if we were feeling brave

By rooting around the back of the sofa, I reckon I could rustle up about ten grand at a push.

What sort of beastie would you chaps recommend - perhaps more importantly, what boats should I be steering well clear of?

jamesjermain

Visit site
Off the top of my head the bilge keel version of the Sadler 26 comes to mind first - attractive, sails well and is very seaworthy for her size.

Others to consider might include:

Sabre 27 - a good one would be a very good bet
The Hunter Delta - a bit basic below decks but sails well
Leisure 27
Jaguar 27
Halcyon 27
Macwester 27 - spacious, safe but slow and getting a bit long in the tooth.

All these are bilge keelers. Here are a few possible lifting keel designs. These will dry out on mud happily enough but for long term mooring avoid sand or rock:

Evolution 26
Parker 27

Windfall

Visit site
Halcyon 27 a bilge keeler? Are you sure? Only ever seen it in a longish fin keel...can't imagine what she'd be like as a bilge keeler

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

You know what I would do? As I did many years ago, go out and look at whatever there is around and look at lots. If you go out with a fixed ambition to own yacht ABC, you might overlook a realy good example of yacht XYZ, just cos its not 'on the list'.

When you have found the boat that you feel suits YOUR requirement just ask the panel then what they think, but be warned, you will get many differing views!

Any boat to be avoided? Yes anything that looks tatty, damaged or badly cared for, unless its very cheap. You will never regain the money you pour into a 'project', you only finish up spending your weekends working your nuts off.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
Welcome. Dont be put off fin or long keelers. Try everything. I am obviously biased but have a look at the Albin Vega as well as the Contessa 26 - both fantastic sea boats and will take you anywhere. There are over 30 Vegas in The Solent and berths are available from between £150 - £2500. I keep my Vega at Fareham and the cost of a fore & aft mooring is about £150 per annum. Have a look at User Association sites and see what is what but we will all be biased towards our own particular marque. Good hunting.....

ericflint

Visit site
Pop in and look at what Trafalgar Yacht Services of Fareham have on offer. We have a 26 Westerley Griffon and she is a good reliable boat, I assume the Centuar would also meet your spec and be in your budget range.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I second the Trapper 500 Recommendation , then Sadler 26 , Westerly etc. -Engines would be the single biggest question ,vis a vis future bills.

Stemar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dont be put off fin or long keelers

[/ QUOTE ]This depends how soft the mud is on your berth. My club pontoon dries and the mud is soft enough for long and fin keelers tosink in and stay upright, but I'd be leary of putting one on a tidal mooring. I think I'd want bilge keels or a lifting keel.

Choice of boat comes down to what's important to you and where're you're willing to compromise. Several good suggestions have been made above. If accomodation is more important than the ability to beat to windward, the Snapdragon 26 or 890 would be within your budget. Loads of room, built like a tank and, if my 24's anything to go by, capable of surprising some much bigger boats off the wind. Going to windward isn't a strong point, though. If if you're pushed for time and the tide's against you too, well, that's what the engine's for.

One thing I will say, having been there and done that, don't buy the boat that ticks all the boxes, but leaves you cold. The right boat will wink at you and say, "Buy Me, I'm yours!" At this point, get some hard headed & hard hearted b*stard who isn't smitten to go over her and LISTEN to him/her, 'cos if you don't, the girl of your dreams might turn out to be an old slapper instead.

Good luck!

PS On any old boat - or a new one, for that matter, there'll be a to do list. Do the research for the jobs to find out how much they're going to cost, then double it. Add some more for the things you've missed and factor this into your budget calculations.

PPS The to do list never gets any shorter. Live with this or don't buy a boat /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AliM

Visit site
When you've narrowed down your list to just a few, buy the back issues of the yachting mags that did the original reviews, or reviewed them as secondhand buys. That is no substitute for actually poking around them, of course, but should alert you to some points to look out for. As others have said, look round as many as you can get round - there are some used boat shows in September and October which its worth going to, because you can trudge round (and compare) lots - some of which you may never have considered. That will help crystallise that must-have list, and eliminate some of the initially promising types of boat.

Enjoy looking, and good luck.

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
Thanks for the responses. Some names there that I hadn't noticed. It looks like I'll continue to scour the ads and plan some trips to the coast to do some browsing. Since we're moving into late summer now, it'll probably be next spring before I start getting serious about this, so it leaves me plenty of time to study the options.

wicked

www.evolution26.org
You would be lucky to find a reasonable Evolution 26 for £10K. In any case - it's a race boat with very little headroom, so may not meet the criteria for having extra people on board for weekends. May be better off looking for an Evolution 25 which has the same hull / hydraulic keel etc. but has a smaller rig and standing headroom. Won't sail quite as well but they are still fast boats.

Also have a look at the Super Seals (not the Parkers) if you want something that will dry out and sail really well.

Dave

FullCircle

Visit site
And just remember, the boat you probably need (fit for the waters you will keep her in) is probably no more than 15 miles away from where it is now.

I did over 10000 miles looking for my first boat , a Corribee for temporary, from a member of my club, until my Evolution 25 came along one lunchtime, 2 miles down the road. All where I intended to keep the boat.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
No No,

winter is a great time to buy, prices drop, not a lot, but some. Also it will give you a chance to do all those odd jobs, and get her cleaned & antifouled. Do as much yourself, & ask around in your local Club/Marina/Forum yachties love shelling out advice & are a great bunch of enthusiasts.

By DIY you will get used to your own craft & be aware of where all the bungs, sea water valves etc. etc. are, you will also get a great sense of pride in the gleam of your gelcoat, or the sense of great satisfaction on a cold winter evening, after installing the last bit of new running rigging....sad or what!

welcome to the whaky world of yacht ownership, you will luv it!!!!

poter.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Tons of cracking advice given in response to your query. IMHO there is one thing missing though. Spend around 2/3 of your budget when buying your boat, whatever it is you eventually decide on. You will need the rest, and probably more, putting her to tights.

Laurie

Visit site
You'd be hard pressed to find a Jaguar 27 for £10K, there are some, but they sail very well, and are similar to a very slightly smaller Trapper 500.
I've had one for 14 years and know them well, set up & used to run the Association. Feel free to contact me ww.laurie@lmilton.co.uk if you wish,