Fire in Marbella.

KenF

Visit site
A local Spanish report claimed that the building where the fire started contained around 100 boats for storage or repair.
EIDebate.com reported: “In the warehouse, there were around 100 boats between 20 and 40 feet-long.
“Many of them were worth millions of pounds.
"The building serves as a winter port, where boats are stored after being taken out of the water, and some were being repaired."

capnsensible

Visit site
I know that place well. Expensive motor boats, yes. Millions of pounds each? Nah.

Very sad for the owners involved though and the boatyard staff now unemployed.

capnsensible

Visit site
Fairly typical slovenly writing. No doubt the total is well into the multiple millions. We are off to Marbella in a couple of weeks to stay with friends. The pictures can't lie, it looks pretty bad.
Mostly small motorboats and jetskis on the hardstanding racks and in the warehouse. Doesn't happen so much now, but there used to be an annual migration of the larger boats across to Marina Smir in Morocco where the Marina Marbella company have a large boatyard and showroom. This enabled owners to avoid tax in either country. Dunno if that loophole is shut now.

Should you nip down to La Bajadilla, I can recommend the little restaurant on the south corner of the old fishermen's cottages opposite. The mixed fried fish dishes are excellent, washed down with a local dry white. :)

Jonny A

Visit site
The Italian restaurant, Davero, is even better. The old chap sitting in the corner every lunchtime is my father. Thankfully his boat was well clear of the fire.

E39mad

Visit site
I worked for Marina Marbella back in the summer of 1987 in between my years at college. They had hundreds of ski boats stored up to four high back then in the fishing port. The more expensive "muscle" boats were on the hard then. That was a great four and half months!

Adrian

www.kydproducts.co.uk
My boat was destroyed in that incident.
Any other readers around here that were affected ?
I feel for you.

My fathers boat was there but fortunately not in the affected building, a friend of ours also had a boat destroyed.
My Niece, who lives just behind the yard, sent us a video on the evening, we were absolutely amazed my fathers boat survived.

Has there been any indication of what caused it?

CaptainO

Visit site
I heard it was a battery or a battery charger in the workshop. But I did not see the official report, so this information may not be accurate.

You can imagine the mess I have to deal with in sorting things out with insurance companies.

Is your friend progressing with his claim ?

Adrian

www.kydproducts.co.uk
I heard it was a battery or a battery charger in the workshop. But I did not see the official report, so this information may not be accurate.

You can imagine the mess I have to deal with in sorting things out with insurance companies.

Is your friend progressing with his claim ?

I haven't spoken to him for a while, will find out.

My Dad bought his first boat of Lars & Göran in about 1980 when they were operating out of an old petrol station on the main road between PB and Marbella, had 5 or 6 of them since then, always found them to be a great company to deal with, gutted for them and the people who lost boats.

CaptainO

Visit site
It is true that their service is great. This was my first boat from them and they are far better than the other nauticas I worked with in another region of Spain.
Now, insurers are defending their own interests, not those of the boaters or MM.
Not to mention there are hardly any new boats available for this season with those long delays...