Final varnish coat ant tips

choppy

Visit site
G'day All,

Just finishing major varnish session (Actually a new hardwood staircase so apologies for any NBness) & its starting to look Bl*&%y great to me.

- Any tips for the final application of Epiphanes high gloss- Light sand or aggressive sand - mix with thinners ? (Apart from banishment of children which is in hand)

Thanks as ever

prv

Visit site
Thorough but not aggressive sand of previous coat (I use 320 grit).

Remove all dust from the work, the surrounding area, your clothes, etc etc. I heard of a pro varnisher in the US who takes off all his clothes before doing the final coat :D

Wipe down with Epifanes thinners.

Make sure brush is clean.

Apply varnish. Don't thin. Don't try to apply too much, don't try to make too little go too far, don't brush too much on the same bit.

Close the door to keep dust away, and leave it alone till dried.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
I cannot emphasis the need to remove all the dust produced by the final sanding enough.

I now generally wash with water and a clean sponge after vacuuming thoroughly.

Allow all dust in the atmosphere to settle

Apply the final coat when no one else is in the house to stir up any dust.
Children are bad, pets even worse but having a swmbo around is a disaster.

As said apply enough to properly cover the surface, but dont apply so much that you will get runs. Its a fine line between the two!

Good lighting is essential to get a good even coverage.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I heard of a pro varnisher in the US who takes off all his clothes before doing the final coat :D

Not when you've got rampant psoriasis you dont :( :p

Apparently this guy varnishes in the nude with very loud classical music playing, and his varnishing shed sealed up tight to keep out any contamination, which the author suspected meant he was also high as a kite on varnish and thinner fumes.

What an image :D

Pete

prv

Visit site
As above, and stand the tin of varnish in some hot water.

Interestingly, I've seen both that advice and the opposite (put it in the fridge before applying). Epifanes themselves say (at http://www.epifanes.com/qanda.htm ):
We have about the same number of calls from finishers that chill their varnish prior to use and those that warm the varnish prior to use. Both claim that the varnish works better. Go figure.

They also finish that paragraph by saying:
Varnishing is 95% technique. Changing the formulation beyond the manufacturers specs. will only weaken the finish ultimately. Spend more time on technique and less on additives, heating or chilling.

Not that I'm suggesting you should change your own particular habits if they work :)

Pete

northwind

Visit site
Interestingly, I've seen both that advice and the opposite (put it in the fridge before applying). Epifanes themselves say (at http://www.epifanes.com/qanda.htm ):

They also finish that paragraph by saying:

Not that I'm suggesting you should change your own particular habits if they work :)

Pete
Interesting, as you say, I found it easier to apply when it was less like treacle.

I've not heard about putting it in the fridge before.. I wonder what it is like on waffles :)