Filmon have stopped their download recordings facility.

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
I'll try, but I'm substantially older than 14! I'll try to make it as un-technical as I can.

Kodi is a software app, which is loaded onto various devices or computers, in our case an Amazon Fire stick. It used to be part of Microsoft for loading TV on to the x-box. It is clunky to use, but in essence it is just a pre loaded directory listing a variety of video sources around the internet. You then load 'add-ons' on top which contain the addresses of the video content. There are several very good You Tube videos promoting customised Kodi apps with lots of directories already loaded.

It was possible to watch iPlayer too until the Beeb added the IP addresses of VPN services to make it effectively unavailable.

I have found using a VPN, like HideMyAss, allows you to watch stuff perhaps not available in the country you reside in. In our case Turkey, so iPlayer is not normally available. The Amazon fire stick (which plugs directly into the HDMI port on a modern LED TV is very good value for around GBP30.

VPN = Virtual Private Network. Is just a piece of software that creates a software tunnel throught the internet that only your traffic passes on and so encrypts your traffic, to hide it from prying eyes, or to spoof you actual whereabouts, e,g, to have the provider (say BBC) believe you are connected from the UK or wherever you wish.

This link may help you on your journey.

https://youtu.be/nr5Mz2Yci4c

Carmel2

Visit site
Thank you for taking the time, I have gone some way to sort out what I need now. What I am most interested in was the record feature, not live. So, I now have Cyber Ghost that allows access to the Iplayer and the download section within. and for the rest torrent downloads seem to work...

Jeva

Visit site
OK, this is stupid but I need to ask - not withstanding the licensing and the region etc etc. Why doesn't 'Auntie' just charge for Iplayer access and be done with it?

RobbieW

Visit site
OK, this is stupid but I need to ask - not withstanding the licensing and the region etc etc. Why doesn't 'Auntie' just charge for Iplayer access and be done with it?

I think because they separately license their programmes to various countries, which is why the Beeb try to block access to TV on iPlayer outside the UK. Simply charging for iPlayer from anywhere would likely breach those agreements.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Because they are very, very, very, very sensitive about charging for anything within the UK. Partly that's because they think the licence fee should cover everything; mainly it's because they don't want politicians getting unfortunate ideas about PAYG subscriptions to the BBC.

Jeva

Visit site
Because they are very, very, very, very sensitive about charging for anything within the UK. Partly that's because they think the licence fee should cover everything; mainly it's because they don't want politicians getting unfortunate ideas about PAYG subscriptions to the BBC.

Interesting comment. The Economist this week is talking about the 'real politik' that will suggest having to pay a little bit for some NHS services - about time too. IMHO