Filling water tanks?

hanjae

Visit site
I am going to refill my water tank and I would like to know if anyone can advise on adatives. i have flushed her through but she has been laid up for a while and I would like to know the best procedure.

savageseadog

Visit site
If they hadn't been cleaned for a while I would consider using the type of cleaner used for home brewed beer. It's a chlrorine and phosphate bases compound.

andy_wilson

Visit site
I use Milton if I remember to take it down to the boat.

Therefore usually I end up using domestos. Let the chlorine do it's stuff for 24 hrs then empty the tank.

As the tank doesn't drain completely when empty, once I start to refill I also pump out at the same time to dilute completely the dregs. Once the chlorine smell has gone from the dregs refill as normal and use, the remaining bleach will be too dilute to taste let alone do any harm.

VicS

Visit site
Saveseadog's suggestion is a good one if the tank needs cleaning.
If you feel it is adequately clean but just want to treat the water as an added precaution then dose it with Milton at the rate recommended on the bottle for treating drinking water. (2.5ml per 5l IIRC but I cant check as the bottle is on the boat) Provided you don't over do it it leaves no bad taste. Worth doing periodically anyway IMHO.

If the tank is seriously dirty then household bleach at some unspecified rate but be sure to wash it all out afterwards.

jerryat

Visit site
I always add four Puriclean tablets to my tank (20 gal) at the start of each season and the odd one as we refill through the season.

So far we haven't had any problems at all and water always tastes great.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I like a little malt in my water.

Sorry, got that wrong, I like a little water in my malt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
A third vote for the Milton option, but also Puritabs broken into quarters works too.
If you overdo any of these, it will make your tea taste funny, but you will live forever.

MikeBz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I like a little water in my malt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tsk, what a waste of good malt!

[ QUOTE ]
It will make your tea taste funny but you will live forever

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I could live forever if my tea tasted funny.

Mike

------------------
Noone told you when to run, you missed the starting gun...

richardabeattie

Visit site
You don't say what sort of tank. If flexible why not take it out and pump a lot of water straight through it while treating it like a bouncy castle. Personally even after doing that and the Milton's thing I prefer to use the tank water only for washing and cooking and take containers of fresh and clean water for drinking.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Flush the tanks thoroughly with plenty of treated water, then let sit [hour or two or more if possible] with water overdosed with Milton etc solution. Empty and refil with 10 drops Milton [or other such chlorine based bleach] per gallon. Use for washing up only or boil water before drinking or carry suitable bottled water for drinking. Otherwise just take your chances with the water and hope that the suppy authority has done their job properly.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and hope that the suppy authority has done their job properly

[/ QUOTE ] Millions of people drink the water supplied by the water companies in the UK without any any further treatment!

jeremyshaw

Visit site
If the tank is stainless steel do bear in mind that leaving chlorine in it is not a good idea.

I quote from something I snipped off the web a little while ago:

"Chlorine dissolved in water will produce some hydrochloric acid. This will interfere with the passivity of the stainless steel allowing it to rust like carbon steel. Drain the tank and remove the rust. To do this you may use a citric acid preparation. Rinse it well preferably with deionized water and fill it with deionized water containing 1/2 weight % of hydrogen peroxide, leave overnight and drain. Refill as usual. Don't chlorinate it any more but use a peroxide based sanitizer at concentrations recommended for the water end use."

nedmin

Visit site
Been boating too many years once put Puritabs in, disaster as far as tea or coffee drinking goes, dont put anything in now. Try to leave boat nearly empty at end of a trip,Empty on arrival and refill for a few minutes with sink tap turned on at same time. There is enough chlorine in domestic water out of tap to stop any problems.Dont drink water unless boiled, but clean teeth etc.

VicS

Visit site
A solution of chlorine in water can produce free hydrochloric acid but sodium hypochlorite solutions such as bleach and Milton will produce only sodium chloride so i dont think there is a risk to stainless tanks when using those.

I dont know where the average person would get sufficient supply of deionised water to fill a tank from if re-passivation with hydrogen peroxide was necessary, and I don't understand what is meant by "1/2 weight % of hydrogen peroxide" but in the light of recent terrorist activities involving acetone peroxide buying any appreciable quantity of hydrogen peroxide may be difficult.

However use of hydrogen peroxide in place of a hypochlorite solution may well be a wise, but less effective, alternative. I am sure small quantities remain available. What dose rate would be recommended?

Bejasus

Visit site
I just used Clorox bleach in the US, at a recommendation of 1 cup of bleach per 10 gallons of water. Flushed everything through until I could smell the bleach and then left to soak for 8 hours. Drained and then flushed tanks twice. No smell of bleach remained and water tasted fine through the normal taps.
Normally for drinking water I use a Seagull IV filter unit which is the best there is.imho

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I just used Clorox bleach in the US

[/ QUOTE ] Unlike most/many/some domestic bleaches in the Uk Clorox does not contain surfactants, thickening agents etc which it may not be advisable to consume.

Clorox can be used for sterilisation of drinking water at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

pvb

Visit site
The cheapest bleach is safe...

If you buy the cheapest bleach, it'll just be bleach. For example, Tesco's own-brand Value Bleach is just bleach - see here.

santeana

Visit site
Home brewers use sodium metabisulphate to clinically clean demijohns and utensils. It's available from Boots in powder form or as Camden Tablets. I think Milton may be a safer and better bet for bacterially cleaning yacht water tanks. Metabisulphate cleans by wetting and by giving off powerful fumes. These fumes may tend to get trapped in a tank and difficult to 'wash out'. Be cautioned that the fumes are very powerful and can damage lungs and trigger breathing difficulties similar to asthma.