Fethiye recommendations please

E39mad

Visit site
Chartering out of Fethiye in June this year for one week - it's a blokes trip on a Bav 51. Not sailed in Turkey before (other than dinghies 25+ years ago).

We like a mixture of good restaurants/bars and picturesque quieter overnight anchorages.

Don't mind long day sails/motoring to get to the best bits.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Chartering out of Fethiye in June this year for one week - it's a blokes trip on a Bav 51. Not sailed in Turkey before (other than dinghies 25+ years ago).

We like a mixture of good restaurants/bars and picturesque quieter overnight anchorages.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site

Then avoid Fethiye, it's a zoo and a long daysail towards Marmaris area which, though still busy is much less of a zoo and not so dreadfully infested with megayachts in every possible nook and cranny, gennys, water dischargeand parties running all night, numerous ribs howling through the anchorage to town and back at 0500 to get the bloody plutocrats' fresh croissants...jetskis hooning around the anchorage the rest of the time plus tripper boats (aka floating discos) full of shrieking tourists. Maybe I exaggerate a little, but not much.
I'd suggest Marmaris and go west or Gockek - and explore the surrounding areas. Much nicer. Still infested with noisy gulets though. The Datcha peninsula is wonderful. Bozburun & area is fab. Cleopatra's Bay is well worh avoidng.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Then avoid Fethiye, it's a zoo and a long daysail towards Marmaris area which, though still busy is much less of a zoo and not so dreadfully infested with megayachts in every possible nook and cranny, gennys, water dischargeand parties running all night, numerous ribs howling through the anchorage to town and back at 0500 to get the bloody plutocrats' fresh croissants...jetskis hooning around the anchorage the rest of the time plus tripper boats (aka floating discos) full of shrieking tourists. Maybe I exaggerate a little, but not much.
I'd suggest Marmaris and go west or Gockek - and explore the surrounding areas. Much nicer. Still infested with noisy gulets though. The Datcha peninsula is wonderful. Bozburun & area is fab. Cleopatra's Bay is well worh avoidng.
A bit harsh, but I'd have to agree Fethiye wouldn't be my favourite please or even make my long list. That said, the OP is on a lad's week and might well be attracted by many of the things we'd consider negative. For a more quiet night or two it's not that far south to Gemiler Adası [burial place of Saint Nicholas], Karacaören and Ölüdeniz.

E39mad

Visit site
Luckily Fethiye is the base for the 1st and last night only. We are free to explore further afield in between.

Already looking at places south of Gocek such as Sarsala, 22 Fathom Cove, Cold Water Bay, Kabak Cove etc A night in Gocek is a possibility too.

Thanks @Irish Rover for the recommendations.

Irish Rover

Visit site
My general experience of restaurants in the bays is that the quality is very average to poor. Rustic is fine by me but not when it's an excuse for lack of cleanliness and hygiene. By Turkish standards prices are high to extortionate. Check your bill carefully.

Halo

Visit site
Did a week long blokes charter in a new Grand Large 50 out of Gocek last year. Had a fine time. Did a run down to Marmaris and enjoyed some good sailing. People seem to find a good place to tie up to shore bollards and stay there for weeks so not many buck shee places to stay
We enjoyed all the places we stopped and usually started each evening with a restaurant meal with a 50cl bottle of Raki. Locals seemed accommodating and helpful.
We had a drone over us when we were a long way out so have a good look and listen before emptying tanks. You need to pump out at end of trip and get a certificate to show you have done it. Be really anal about putting anything in the water