Ferries from France or Guernsey to UK

Daydream believer

Visit site
Want to take a crew for part of my trip to Camaret from Bradwell
Crew only has a week so will have to leave me at either Cherbourg or Guernsey
Can one just walk up to the ferry terminal & get a one way ticket to Uk. Preferably Portsmouth. but Poole if necessary
Or does one have to pre book

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, usually no problem. Guernsey is new fastcat to Poole, assuming they don't break it or hit the dock again. Cherbourg to either Poole or Portsmouth. Poole slightly shorter crossing and brisk walk to bus or train station if needed.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
Yes, usually no problem. Guernsey is new fastcat to Poole, assuming they don't break it or hit the dock again. Cherbourg to either Poole or Portsmouth. Poole slightly shorter crossing and brisk walk to bus or train station if needed.
Um.

You have to have a seat on the fastcats. I've been on one that was full.

Just saying.

han34

Portsmouth, northern France in the summer
Visit site
Want to take a crew for part of my trip to Camaret from Bradwell
Crew only has a week so will have to leave me at either Cherbourg or Guernsey
Can one just walk up to the ferry terminal & get a one way ticket to Uk. Preferably Portsmouth. but Poole if necessary
Or does one have to pre book

Cherbourg and St Peter Port are both walkable to the ferry. Both have internet so you could book online if you want to. Very unlikely to be a problem for a foot passenger, worst case I guess would be having to wait for a later ferry.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It's normally cheaper to take a flight to Southampton. Particularly if you're paying for the crew by the day and it saves an extra day's fees.

But can one just walk on the plane without booking?
Plus is that from Cherbourg or Guernsey
presumably boats often get stuck in one of the 2 ports & have unscheduled trips back due to commitments

& I am definately not paying for him !!!!!!!

kengill

Visit site
I have always simply booked the next flight at the travel agent a bit south from the Marina and never had a problem. Mind you I never tried to book a flight after noon on a Friday or Sunday! Really helpful people even organised the taxi to the airport. As long as its just a bit of crewing I'd be up for the trip if you pay the fares.

Cheers

han34

Portsmouth, northern France in the summer
Visit site
It's normally cheaper to take a flight to Southampton. Particularly if you're paying for the crew by the day and it saves an extra day's fees.

That's very interesting, so, if I'm in Cherbourg's and I want to get back to Portsmouth you are confident that flying is cheaper, than 25 quid on a ferry? Could you give me details please. What airport have you used from Cherbourg and what airline.

Tranona

Visit site
That's very interesting, so, if I'm in Cherbourg's and I want to get back to Portsmouth you are confident that flying is cheaper, than 25 quid on a ferry? Could you give me details please. What airport have you used from Cherbourg and what airline.

there is in fact an airport at Cherbourg and there have in the past been flights to UK, but not sure they run now - too much cheap competition from the ferries!

Think the post was referring to Jersey and Guernsey where there are indeed relatively cheap and frequent flights to Southampton (and other UK airports), but ferries still cheaper and easier.

kacecar

Visit site
I don't know about flying from Cherbourg but when my boat was stuck in Guernsey and I had to get back to mainland UK (West London) quite quickly I found it was quicker, far more practical and not significantly different in cost to fly back to Gatwick.

jimi

Visit site
Ferry Cherbourg to Portsmouth is easily walk on, the terminus is very close to the marina in Cherbourg. I've used it a few times.