Fender Line Knot Required

alec

Visit site
I have some nice soft three strand line for fenders.

As an alternative to splicing , any ideas on what knot to use on the eye of the fender ?

Regards,

Alec

Allan

Visit site
Bowline or round turn and two hitches. That's two of the three knots (clove hitch is the third) that you need for sailing! All others are a waste.
Allan

Strathglass

Visit site
Yesterday I spliced the lines onto four fenders which just arrived from ebay.

Nice soft 3 strand ropes were supplied with them.

By far the best way.

Iain

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Outworkers

Levity is wasted in cyberspace, isn't it Ian? I had this vision of you sitting at home splicing a few fenders for Christmas pin money.

Omatako

Visit site
Seemingly you've never had a need to join two lines of significantly different sizes (sheet bend) or had to relieve pressure on a really taught line (rolling hitch).

Your three plus these two make the five knots that all sailors should know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And I agree with some of the other posts - splice the lines onto the fenders, you'll never need to worry about them again.

Piddy

Visit site
If you mean the fender end of the lanyard, I splice an eye in the end of the rope then pass the eye through the fender before passing the free end through it and pulling tight.
It's much more convenient to be able to take it off when cleaning the ropes or fenders.

Hope that makes sense

bobgosling

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you mean the fender end of the lanyard, I splice an eye in the end of the rope then pass the eye through the fender before passing the free end through it and pulling tight.
It's much more convenient to be able to take it off when cleaning the ropes or fenders.

Hope that makes sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Don't splice it on. Tie it on or form a spliced eye and then loop it through.

Spyro

Visit site
It really is worth the time learning how to to do a 3 strand splice, plenty of web sites showing how, HERE'S ONE Not as difficult as the finished job looks. The instructions fail to mention the final step which is put the finished splice on the ground and roll it back and forward under your foot a few times.

Visit site
Go on, admit it, you can't splice!
Just sneak into the local chandlery and bribe one of the staff to do it for you - and keep stumm about it. And of course you put the eye at the end of the line NOT onto the fender. Have you ever tried getting fenders into a washing machine??

The Sixth knot could be a reef knot to distinguish from a granny.

Coloured lanyards eh? I hope they're black - that's all I get on mine . . .

CJH