Feathering Props

pjvz

Visit site
Has any one any recommendations on feathering props? I have a long keeler that 'walks to port going in reverse....will a FP help?? What about the Kiwi??

homa

Visit site
My 3 blade feathering Volvo prop walks to port. All my other boats had fixed props and none had the same tendency to walk.
Not sure, but think it's probably more the boat/keel configuration rather than the prop itself all IMHO of course

cliffordpope

Visit site
I think all screws have an inbuilt "walking" tendency, depending on their direction of rotation. Whether it is pronounced in reverse depends on hull and rudder shape, etc. If the flow of water passing the screw does not immediately pass the rudder, then there will be no stearage until the boat has started moving, so the walking effect predominates. A more directional design has little or no walking effect.
The effect is still there going forward, but is less noticeable because the flow of water immediately passes the rudder so there is instant steering effect.
I would have thought any screw would do it, other than those special kitchen rudders, or of course opposed twin-screws.
Quarter mounted installations are the worst, because the rudder is not even vaguely in line with the screw.

skipperscouse

Visit site
my long keeler prop walks when astern. i find it a bonus when berthing. like having a '' stern thruster''.
i find that in calm settled conditions , on a slow tickover she will keep a course astern.
''olga'' weighs 18 ton.
good luck
pete

old_salt

Visit site
Put very simply Prop Walk.
Is as the blade turns under the centre of the shaft it is in denser water that has the effect of pushing the centre line of the shaft to one side. More graphical if you think of a propeller 12 to 16 ft in diameter. Prop walk is used on large ships when manoeuvring all the time a good short burst of revs then stop will do the trick rather than a slow prolonged movement as it is called. The effect will work just the same on most small boats. One of the best ways to work out and manage your astern movements is in a calm open space go into astern and with moderate rpm manoeuvre the yacht in a figure of eight and go over the same track a few times watch carefully your speed and the effect on the helm too fast and the helm will be taken out of your hand and go hard over so slow and easy and on and off with the rpm is the trick. You will be berthing astern and leaving a busy mariner like C&Ns Gosport is so much easer you in the cock pit have the first sight of any hazard and the knowledge that an ahead move will take you into safe water as you have just left it, a kick ahead is far more manageable and effective to get out of trouble.
Used to do it in the late 80s early 90s. many a time.
I hope this helps.

old_salt

Visit site
This has been also posted on Scuttlebutt.
It is frowned upon by our elders to post requests consecutively on more than one forum.
and while I'm at as no one has done so yet.
Welcome aboard CousinJack enjoy.

old_salt

Visit site
Thats very true.
I Just love playing a tune with a TSDY.
We once went though the Menai Bridge astern for a giggle.
The peps on the under bridge road thought we where all off our heads or drunk I think.
In actual fact all sober and all well thought out beforehand.
All on board had been there many times before at most states of the tide.

pjvz

Visit site
Why have two forums then, focused on the two magazines which I assume have a different type of reader interest?

Who might our elders be?