Fawley PS Chimney.

scotty123

Visit site
Solent sailors will lose this landmark in 2020, due to plans to demolish it. I well remember a sailing instructor referring to it a the "FBC" & encouraging finding positions using it & buoys to get a transit bearing.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Solent sailors will lose this landmark in 2020, due to plans to demolish it. I well remember a sailing instructor referring to it a the "FBC" & encouraging finding positions using it & buoys to get a transit bearing.

The Clyde hasn't looked the same since Inverkip power station chimney went.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...I well remember a sailing instructor referring to it as the "FBC" & encouraging finding positions using it & buoys to get a transit bearing.

I wonder if we had the same sailing instructor?

I recall being on one of those sail-training weekends when a Mayday came on VHF-16 from a small motorboat that had not only suffered 'complete engine failure', but was also 'lost' and unable to give the Coast Guard a position other than being 'in the Solent'.
We and I'm sure everyone else listening were eventually p****ng ourselves laughing as they tried to locate him, with questions & answers: "No I don't have a GPS". "Yes, I can see land on both sides of the boat". "Which chimney?" "Oh that one" - in response to to the adjective 'Flipping Big'. "Yes, that one's to the left" "No, I can't tell you which left, we don't have a compass."
As I recall one of the Sunsail fleet eventually spotted/identified him and towed him in to Cowes, which is where we subsequently discovered that his 'engine failure' had been a lack of fuel and that another mobo had gone back out with him to lead him back to Gosport.

I realise that's one of those things that I really miss about 'home'. The highlight of any summer weekend in the Solent was undoubtedly listening to the clowns broadcasting pan-pan and mayday messages on Ch-16 when they could get a word in edgeways between requests for a 'radio-check'; is it still like that?

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site

Goodness me how are Solent sailors going to manage. :)

On the Medway we lost not one chimney but two. They used to be a fantastic point to aim for when heading towards the entrnce to the Medway. They could be seen from 20+ miles away. Thankfully we still have some container cranes to aim for when heading for home.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
The otherwise featureless (if you don't count the white cliffs, giant gasometers, monstrous new wind farm. BA's funfair ride and high rise buildings)coast of Sussex used to have some fantastic chimneys. Two of which were a 'half Battersea' power station.

After they had all been knocked down and shipping could no longer find Shoreham the council elected to build a shiny new gas powered one to restore the natural order of things.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I was involved at a marketing event a couple of years ago for the launch of a new Vestas facility in the Fawley complex. The blades were to be shipped from the IOW across to the old dock at Fawley to be stored and painted there - https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15...wind-turbine-factory-at-fawley-power-station/
I had a quick tour and also got inside the control room / flying saucer - pics below, fascinating for those nerdy types...:

20171107_160847.jpg

20171107_160911.jpg

prv

Visit site
The highlight of any summer weekend in the Solent was undoubtedly listening to the clowns broadcasting pan-pan and mayday messages on Ch-16 when they could get a word in edgeways between requests for a 'radio-check'; is it still like that?

Yes. Except that now sometimes it's the Coastguard operators we're groaning about.

Pete

Giblets

Visit site
Those weren't used as navigation aids.
You can see Fawley from Hurst & take a bearing, not sure you could see Poole PS from Old Harry.

I seem to recall that one could see them from halfway across Christchurch Bay if not beyond so from Old Harry not a problem. They were certainly marked on the charts of the area. Granted that they were only 100m high as opposed to Fawley at 195m. Demolished in 1993 so no longer an issue.

Airscrew

Visit site
I learnt to fly from the (now disused) airfield at Hamble. The tower was used as the benchmark for visibility. "If you can see the tower, you can fly". And an easy way of navigating back to the airfield.

And a superb reference point while encouraging my better half to crew.
"Into wind is roughly pointing at the tower, head for that, and I'll raise the main."
"Head for the tower and I'll trim for that".

Fond memories.

But, it is without doubt the eyesore on the Solent.
A piece of industrial heritage that does not sit well with the Georgian fronts of Lymington, Hamble or Cowes, or the superb tranquil rivers of Beaulieu round the corner.

Many will miss it, but not me.