Favourite marina and Island in the Canaries and why

Mrs Sail Away

Visit site
Hello

We have a friend from the UK flying out to stay with us for a week at the beginning of March. We would like to show her the best of the Canaries and would appreciate hearing about your favourite marina and Island and to know your reasons, so we can re-locate in time for her visit.

Things that will be of interest:-
1. Easy/reasonable access from the UK/airport
2. Good ambience
3. Reasonable facilities/toilets etc
4. Interesting things to do nearby
5. Interesting places to eat out nearby
6. Good beach (or swimming pool) with reasonable access

Thank you for your help.

Mrs Sail Away

GHA

Visit site
La Gomera is one of my favourite places in all the world :cool:

Means a short ferry across from Tenerife,after not many euros in a cab from the airport but that's fun as well :)

RAI

Visit site
Ditto: San Sabastian on La Gomera is a top spot for relaxation.

Las Palmas on Gran Canaria is an option for busy times, as is Santa Cruz on Tenerife.
For volcanic activity, try Lanzarote. For complete isolation, Restinga on El Hierro.

Choose a base and take a hire car to see the rest of the island.

AndrewB

Visit site
+1. A plus would be taking your friend out from there on a quiet day to watch the pilot whales.

The marina gets very full in the Atlantic crossing season (Nov-Dec), but that should not affect you. Yachts in berths near the entrance are vulnerable to the very occasional SW storm.

JdM3SIK.jpg

View in Gomera across to Mount Tiede.

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
Although a +1 for Gomera, my all round favourate island (the test is can I imagine myself living here permaently?) is La Palma, and Tazacorte as the marina (good discount also if you belong to the CA). Tourism less intrusive than many islands as there are few international flights, good local wine, wonderful walking / exploring. And staggeringly beautiful - even Madonna agrees!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We liked Lanzarote, if you hire a car go to a beach on the west side the cliff looks like huge waves of lava . There is a area of different cactuses and a cave on the north east you can enter it has blind fish and more. A tourist guide will show where they are.

Sybarite

Visit site

Means a short ferry across from Tenerife,after not many euros in a cab from the airport but that's fun as well :)

I only know Tenerife and La Gomera but would choose the latter if I were on a boat.

It's worth taking a landrover trip around the island and tasting their potatoes cooked in heavily salted water. The best I have tasted - outside Co Down.