Farewell to Pugwash and a request

pugwash

Visit site
Dear Scuttlebutters who from time to time, may read posts from Pugwash,

His poor old ship has been in dock for a while, having a bad case of barnacles dealt with. Alas the marine engineers at the Royal Marsden Hospital were unable to sort out the careening problem. We are preparing his final voyage at the moment.

To that end, I am trying to track down the right words for his favourite seafaring quote about a Norse King called Windycap. It goes something like this….."whichsoever way he sets his cap, the wind shall blow. " I can't remember the preamble to the quote. Google - after one and a half hours - was unhelpful.

So if any of you seafarers out there can pinpoint it, I would be most grateful if you could let me know.

Hope you can help.

Pugwash's First Mate

Sailfree

Visit site
His poor old ship has been in dock for a while, having a bad case of barnacles dealt with. Alas the marine engineers at the Royal Marsden Hospital were unable to sort out the careening problem. We are preparing his final voyage at the moment.

Pugwash's First Mate

Best wishes for a final voyage with the support of loved ones.

benjenbav

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this news. Pugwash's contributions will be much missed by many on here.

I wonder if this story could be the basis of the quote of which you were thinking:

The Skipper And Old Nick
Author: P. Chr. Asbjornsen

"Once on a time there was a skipper who was so wonderfully lucky in everything he undertook; there was no one who got such freights, and no one who earned so much money, for it rolled in upon him on all sides, and, in a word, there was no one who was good to make such voyages as he, for whithersoever he sailed he took the wind with him;--nay! men did say he had only to turn his hat and the wind turned the way he wished it to blow.

"So he sailed for many years, both in the timber trade and to China, and he had gathered money together like grass. But it so happened that once he was coming home across the North sea with every sail set, as though he had stolen both ship and lading; but he who wanted to lay hold on him went faster still. It was Old Nick, for with him he had made a bargain, as one may well fancy, and that very day the time was up, and he might look any moment that Old Nick would come and fetch him.

"Well! the skipper came up on deck out of the cabin and looked at the weather; then he called for the carpenter and some others of the crew, and said they must go down into the hold and hew two holes in the ship's bottom, and when they had done that they were to lift the pumps out of their beds and drive them down tight into the holes they had made, so that the sea might rise high up into the pumps.

"The crew wondered at all this, and thought it a funny bit of work, but they did as the skipper ordered; they hewed holes in the ship's bottom and drove the pumps in so tight that never a drop of water could come to the cargo, but up in the pump itself the North sea stood seven feet high.

"They had only just thrown the chips overboard after their piece of work when Old Nick came on board in a gust of wind and caught the skipper by the throat.

"'Stop, father!' said the skipper, 'there's no need to be in such a hurry,' and as he said that he began to defend himself and to loose the claws which Old Nick had stuck into him by the help of a marling-spike.

"'Haven't you made a bargain that you would always keep the ship dry and tight?' asked the skipper. 'Yes! you're a pretty fellow; look down the pumps, there's the water standing seven feet high in the pipe. Pump, devil, pump! and pump the ship dry, and then you may take me and have me as soon and as long as you choose.'

"Old Nick was not so clever that he was not taken in; he pumped and strove, and the sweat ran down his back like a brook, so that you might have turned a mill at the end of his backbone, but he only pumped out of the North sea and into the North sea again. At last he got tired of that work, and when he could not pump a stroke more, he set off in a sad temper home to his grandmother to take a rest. As for the skipper, he let him stay a skipper as long as he chose, and he is still perhaps sailing on his voyages whithersoever he will, and twisting the wind as he chooses only by turning his hat."

[The end]
P. Chr. Asbjornsen's short story: Skipper And Old Nick

pugwash

Visit site
The Final Voyage

Thank you Scuttlebutters for finding the quote. King Erik of Sweden, alias "Windycap" was the chap I was searching for.
Over and Out,
Mrs. Pugwash

Sybarite

Visit site
Dear Scuttlebutters who from time to time, may read posts from Pugwash,

To that end, I am trying to track down the right words for his favourite seafaring quote about a Norse King called Windycap. It goes something like this….."whichsoever way he sets his cap, the wind shall blow. " I can't remember the preamble to the quote. Google - after one and a half hours - was unhelpful.

So if any of you seafarers out there can pinpoint it, I would be most grateful if you could let me know.

Hope you can help.

Pugwash's First Mate

Fair winds to Pugwash as he prepares to leave these shores to join those who are waiting to greet him on the other side. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

wizard

Visit site
The ferryman will give him a smooth ride to the other side where the seas will be calmer and the winds fair.

It is an emotional time ahead, but be assured the thoughts of all on here will be with you both throughout.