Farewell Menorca

Hooligan

Visit site
Just left Menorca after 4 years berthed in Mahon. What a lovely place to keep the boat but it was time to move the caravan. Passage overnight following advice from forumites was uneventful - chugged across at 10 knots with a slight slop across the port side until the am when the sea went calm and the dolphins came to say hello. Currently on a buoy for the day/night near Palau where have been drinking heavily trying to get used to the just buttock clenching expense of this place. Clearly an adjustment to be made!! Two quick plugs - one for PredictWind. Bit expensive but by far the best app i have seen for weather routing and planning. Everything it said we should expect was exactly what we did over the 18 hours or so. The second for Andrew Moore who owns Marine Power Menorca and has looked after the good ship Hooligan for the past 4 at times very trying years. Nothing too much trouble, always proactive and very reasonable pricing. His tel is +34 670 908 839. Not meaning to influence anyone but always good to recognise people who make our lives easier and cheaper. Top man.

jrudge

Visit site
If you want expense wait till you visit a fuel pump!

Bonafacio is cheap and you can order a tanker. Do be warned that the bonafacio straights can blow up even if the forecasts says lovely. My guess tapped me on the shoulder and said shall I get the life jackets - in a 65 foot boat. We lost a beach toy - ex wife said turn round - I said you must be joking as I thought we would roll over and the dam thing was making about 25 knots in the other direction!

As you know I was going to escape this year ,but planning next June. Will watch with interest :)

The national park is nice but you have to pay and boy are there some boat volumes there.

PEJ

Visit site
I don't know where Palau is, so I googled it....

Palau officially the Republic of Palau is an island country located in the western Pacific Ocean. The country contains approximately 340 islands

Crickey! You did well to get there overnight!

Hurricane

Visit site

Bonafacio is cheap and you can order a tanker.

It was a long time ago but I think it was the town's fuel berth in Bonafacio that gave us the fuel bug.
Well, it was that load where we noticed the bug.
If I were going there again, I would take your advice and use a tanker - and then maybe add some extra fuel treatment - Marine 16 seems to work.

Hurricane

Visit site
Tanker is cheaper if you are taking on a decent amount say 2000 lts plus.

It was an amazing entrance. You are heading for sheer rock and suddenly you see the entrance c

For us it was a force 7 from behind - blowing up Bonafacio.
Sphincter muscles on overdrive - wondering how we were going to stop at the end quay and berth bow into the wind!!

These pics taken the next day

serve.php

serve.php

MapisM

Visit site
Currently on a buoy for the day/night near Palau where have been drinking heavily
Welcome to Sardinia, but beware: Costa Smeralda in general, and the Maddalena Archipelago right in front of Palau, are beautiful but a bit posh.
If by chance you are planning to move around, and possibly reach the SW tip of the island (more relaxed and less expensive), gimme a shout.
My fridges are used to withstand the challenge of heavy drinkers onboard - and more than one of them! :D

terranova

Visit site
Glad to hear you made it over ok. Did you decide to stay in Santa Teresa for a while ?

We will be leaving Olbia next week for a 2 month cruise around Sardinia. We’ll be stopping in Santa Teresa along the way, so will say hi if you’re there.

MapisM - we’re really looking forward to spending a week or two in Carloforte after everything that you and others have posted on this forum. It look like a great place. We should be there late July - do you think I need to book a berth well in advance or is availability normally ok for a 19 metre-ish boat ?

Hooligan

Visit site
I don't know where Palau is, so I googled it....

Palau officially the Republic of Palau is an island country located in the western Pacific Ocean. The country contains approximately 340 islands

Crickey! You did well to get there overnight!

West Pacific sounds fun......four down on Google you will find that Palau is a commune in Sardinia. Best be slightly away from such commune near St Raphaeli if you ever find your way here and don't get lost somewhere in the Pacific

Hooligan

Visit site
Glad to hear you made it over ok. Did you decide to stay in Santa Teresa for a while ?

We will be leaving Olbia next week for a 2 month cruise around Sardinia. We’ll be stopping in Santa Teresa along the way, so will say hi if you’re there.

MapisM - we’re really looking forward to spending a week or two in Carloforte after everything that you and others have posted on this forum. It look like a great place. We should be there late July - do you think I need to book a berth well in advance or is availability normally ok for a 19 metre-ish boat ?

Hi. Yes we will berth in Santa T until end of July. Wont be around much until then but please drop by in case. Our plan is to do the West Coast Corsica and Elba etc when we get back circa July 26th. Have fun on your tour and hope to meet.

Hooligan

Visit site
Welcome to Sardinia, but beware: Costa Smeralda in general, and the Maddalena Archipelago right in front of Palau, are beautiful but a bit posh.
If by chance you are planning to move around, and possibly reach the SW tip of the island (more relaxed and less expensive), gimme a shout.
My fridges are used to withstand the challenge of heavy drinkers onboard - and more than one of them! :D

Thanks M and will do if we get there. Plan is Corsica and definitely not too much time in N Sardinia. Definitely where the big boys go. We are anchored in Budelli now which is great in the pm after the day trippers leave. Got approached by a boat which asked if we wanted to go to their bar/restaurant etc all with fancy brochure. Decided to go take a look. Amazing place in terms of beauty etc with off the charts prices, frankly making London look like LiDL price wise. escaped with 6 beers. If anyone prefers to fly there by helicopter then all can be accommodated apparently.

Hooligan

Visit site

Bonafacio is cheap and you can order a tanker. Do be warned that the bonafacio straights can blow up even if the forecasts says lovely. My guess tapped me on the shoulder and said shall I get the life jackets - in a 65 foot boat. We lost a beach toy - ex wife said turn round - I said you must be joking as I thought we would roll over and the dam thing was making about 25 knots in the other direction!

As you know I was going to escape this year ,but planning next June. Will watch with interest :)

The national park is nice but you have to pay and boy are there some boat volumes there.

Crossing could not have been smoother. PredictWind is very good if expensive. Good luck with weed adventures this year in the islands.

MapisM

Visit site
Glad to hear that we will have an opportunity to catch up at sea, rather than behind a keyboard!

Generally speaking, berth availability is normally OK in CF, but late July and up to the end of Aug is indeed the busiest period (anywhere in Sardinia, mind!), so I would suggest to book a bit in advance.
When you will know your ETA, if you PM or email me (myusername@yahoo.com) the boat name, I will tell the marina and confirm you the berth availability. :encouragement:

MapisM

Visit site
Amazing place in terms of beauty etc with off the charts prices, frankly making London look like LiDL price wise.
LOL, I was well aware that Costa Smeralda prices are not for the fainthearted, but it looks like they went from bad to worse lately! :D

Luckily, down here the beauty of the coastline and the sea is similar (if not better, depending also on personal tastes), but general costs are more reasonable.
Nowhere near London in fact, if I should make a bit of a generalization. :encouragement:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

For us it was a force 7 from behind - blowing up Bonafacio.
Sphincter muscles on overdrive - wondering how we were going to stop at the end quay and berth bow into the wind!!
Having spent a summer season berthed in Olbia and having cruised around the Costa Smerelda and to Bonifacio a few times, I have to say that area is always bloody windy. In fact I got fed up with it in the end and to be honest. I dont really understand the attraction of the area. Yes sure its quite pretty but no more so than many other parts of the Med and marina prices are eye watering in high season. And the other thing that bugged me was having to buy a licence to cruise around the Maddalenas and for that you get nothing. I think the only reason the area is so highly rated is that all the Italian boats come over from the mainland in high season

To be honest I much preferred S Sardinia

terranova

Visit site
Hi. Yes we will berth in Santa T until end of July. Wont be around much until then but please drop by in case. Our plan is to do the West Coast Corsica and Elba etc when we get back circa July 26th. Have fun on your tour and hope to meet.

Sounds like a great trip. Any plans for a Winter Berth ?

terranova

Visit site
Glad to hear that we will have an opportunity to catch up at sea, rather than behind a keyboard!

Generally speaking, berth availability is normally OK in CF, but late July and up to the end of Aug is indeed the busiest period (anywhere in Sardinia, mind!), so I would suggest to book a bit in advance.
When you will know your ETA, if you PM or email me (myusername@yahoo.com) the boat name, I will tell the marina and confirm you the berth availability. :encouragement:

That’s very good of you, thanks a lot. I’ll be in touch :encouragement: