Fantasie 19-suitable outboards

pegasus

Visit site
To date, I have used a Seagull Century Plus, but have found it dead slow against the ebb tides. What do other Fantasie owners use, noting the limitations of the outboard well etc. I would prefer a seperate fuel tank and weight not exceeding 56lbs but any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Richard

G

Richard,
I have a Yamaha 4AC long shaft (4hp, weight 47.3 lb ) in my Fantasie 19. It came with the boat which I bought last August. At about 3/4 throttle it pushes us along against the tide at 3.9 knots, with tide 5.4 knots measured by Gps as speed over ground.
I would like something a little bigger but primarily for the battery charging facility that bigger o/boards offer --provided they go in the hole!
I suppose the alternative would be to fit charging coil and rectifier myself. Trying to find out how hard that would be at the moment.
How do you find the boat? Mine goes like stink on main and jib. Haven't got to get my hands on a spinniker yet.
Hope you enjoy your boat, keep in touch. It would be interesting to compare notes.
Regards, Rod Wale.

G

I used to have one of these called 'Otter'. Anyway when I bought it it had a 7.5hp Johnson 2 stroke. This was poorly so I swapped for a Johnson 6hp 2 stroke. Both engines had lighting coils and the 6hp pushed her along at 5.3knots. They were both hefty and you had to put them in on the diagonal. When the 7.5hp was ill I tried a Johnson 4hp . That was ok to get me out of the harbour but didn't have a reverse gear just used to swivle around.

The thing I didn't like was the fumes in the cockpit when the engine was running. The well used to 'slosh' a lota as well when sailing which I thought used to slow her down. I used to have an outbourd bracket on the stern as well but I never tried it. The advantage being you can get the prop out of the water while sailing and you didn't have the nasty fumes.

Otter was my first 'cruiser'. Happy Days......

G

Hi,

I have an Hurley 22, a lot heavier I know, but I have a 6hp Johnson, pushes us along at about 4-4.5 knots.

However what I would recommend whatever outboard you go for, make sure you get the suppliers yacht prop.

We had a std prop, the boat went a bit quicker but wouldn't go astern, and like you had the same problem in strong tide.

Since changing to the yacht propellor we can now go astern and though slower can make progress against reasonably stong currents

LeonF

Visit site
I had a Fantasie until last year which had a Yamaha 4. Sailed on the tidal Thames and often punched the tide. Only problem was:the boat sails so much better with the engine lifted out and the blanking hatch in place, but stowing the engine is not easy.

L.A.R.Ferguson

LeonF

Visit site
Where did you buy your boat- mine was bright yellow and I sold it to a chap who was travelling through the Thames then Kennet and Avon to Bristol.

L.A.R.Ferguson

pegasus

Visit site
Thanks gentlemen for previous replies.
Like Rod, I sailed my boat in August last year for the first time, and had three trips before hauling out at end of September for winter. I'm very much a Fantasie novice.
The boat sailed well, but I too noticed the water surging up and down in the outboard well, has anyone a solution? The exhaust gases in the cockpit was not a problem.
The outboard engines seem to give everyone trouble one way or another, but I think the Yamaha 4 seems to be the most likely answer to my problems.
Has anyone fitted an inboard engine to a Fantasie? I've toyed with the idea of a Dolphin or Stuart Turner but don't fancy disturbing the existing skeg arrangement; perhaps running the shaft outside the skeg but parallel to it might be a possibility?
Thanks again
Richard