Family friendly South Coast

G

Last year, we went on a couple of organised cruises in company, and they were fine, but not really child friendly (late nights in nice restaurants don't mix with tired five year olds...)

Seems Barry D is about to get a boat with the range to go cruising, and I know Barry has a small ankle biter. Does anyone else have young kids (under 10, say), based on the South Coast (say Poole-Brighton)?

If so, are you interested in trying to organise some family friendly runs? Say, France, Channel Islands, West Country?

BarryD

Visit site
New (too me) boat - not as big as a Leopard but hopefully the bar will be as well stocked! Great Boat TCM - No shots of the dremel session though, and how is the finger?

Graham - great idea of a family friendly run. Not sure if I'm going to have the nerve to leave the Solent in the first season (course I am) and I guess that France is just head south... Also short person does'nt like the bump-bump at 30kts you will have to throttle back to keep me in sight <G>

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

G

My aged frame no longer happy about bumpbump at 30kts either. We cruise about 20-25 for best efficiency. I think with twin 4.2's you'll be leaving us...

KevB

Visit site
For a very family friendly marina try Chichester, the social side of the Yacht club is second to none. We have a ten year old who has made many friends there. All organised cruises (28 in all for the coming season) are planned with kids in mind, for instance we are going to Weymouth over easter, booked around this time so people with children can go. In the summer we are doing a 2 week cruise to Geurnsey, Jersey and St Malo, booked in the summer holidays so the children can go.
All cruises (except the 'lads' booze cruise to Cherbourg) cater for children in fact children are encouraged to go.

G

happy where we are in Christchurch, but sounds interesting. Poss to join in cruises w/o berthing in Chi? Join Yacht Club on similar basis?

c_j

Visit site
Definately up for this although my lot range from 8 to 16.

In the past I have tried to suggest trips in company with kids, but nothing has ever happened.

I think the two main stumbling blocks are booking berths and the organiser being responsible in some way to the others.

I am sure that the only way forward is for one person to suggest a destination and date and then everyone for themselves ie booking berths and judging weather etc etc etc just as if they were on their own.

As soon as a few people have "signed up" then a port for a pre trip meet up could be arranged.

Size matters, but should there be a limit?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

KevB

Visit site
Hi Pauline,

Channel Islands from the 27th of July til 7th August. Not exactly sure when we will be where but the idea is to spend 6 days in St Malo and the rest in Guernsey/Jersey. I think St Malo will be after the other two but maybe a bit in between. I'll let you know when I find out full details and maybe we can meet up. Trying to persuade Barryd to go....

jfm

Visit site
Would like to come along. Based Lymington. I tend to sail weekends only, not live on boat for whole week, but I might do "one way". Barry the Maxum can easily do cross Channel, including Cherrbourg for lunch and back in the same day, you just need flat seas (as we all do), so you're not getting out of it :)

tcm

Visit site
Re: advert

I have some maps an stuff for sale, see for sale forum, abslootley ideal for such a trip.

You need to taker your own hose pipe for france, but i gave coliholic a spare one when i was smashed.

Barry, this is a totaly unforgettable and ace trip. So, no wimping out at all.

G

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to set up in opposition to anyone. I'd far rather some other bugger did the organisation, but I suspect that most cruises are adult oriented things. If anyone knows of family specific stuff (other than the Chi Yacht Club thing) *please* let me know...

tcm

Visit site
pretty sure there aren't any. Good idea.

Incid, if cherbourg CI doesn't come off I can strongly rec'd Deauville, nice marina next to the beach, restaurants on the beach, game of footie, massive boot of ball over there 500metres fetch that son and return to nice lunch er...guess i won't be invited ahem.

G

Hi Graham, put me down to join in, my mooring runs out at the end of April, so if she,s not sold by then we will use her and move about to various places eventually in France with a bit of luck, did the CI last year but will go back for more.
You can put me down for resident cruise engineer if you like !, did you get anyone to do your engines ?, cheers Paul.

piratequeen

Visit site
We are having the same probs with a six-year old, will be in St. Malo/Rance area from 27th july for about a week , then crawling slowly up towards Portbail/Carteret visiting a few tucked away places in between. We can only do 7 knots so not much fun to cruise with, but we can always meet you there! Keep in touch a bit nearer the time.

G

Thanks, Paul. No, I'm waiting for a break in the weather, then I'll give you a call and get a lift out... I think the bellows need changing (5yrs old, now, never been done to my knowledge)

G

Thanks. Open to any suggestions, any volunteers to organise etc. Have no problem staying up all night drinking, but with small people need to back at boat earlier than otherwise. Ours are 6 and 8 this year, so keeping 'em up much beyond 9pm is not really on. As long as we're fed and back on the boat by then, we'll party as hard as the next lot.