Faltering Perkins

dovekie

Visit site
What an excellent forum.
I have a Perkins 4108 which has been great for 10 years. One day after 6 hours motoring it ran unevenly and raced a little I think. Pressure and temp normal. I stopped it and it wouldn't restart. One tow and a good Norewegian mechanic later the fuel filters were replaced (mea culpa), the engine bled, and with a little Easy Start we were away. Since then it has faltered several times, always after some hours motoring, and never stalling. I have knocked it back to idle each time and the problem seems to disappear if we just wait. There have been no more starting problems. A friend has suggested I check the tank breather. Anyone else other ideas? Jon

<hr width=100% size=1>

Freebee

Visit site
Tank breather favourite to start with, check fuel quality any water or dirt in the tank-you might have to change filter(s) again. Also avoid Easy Start if you can.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Would suggest cleaning the tank, from what you say I suspect the fuel pickup is gradually getting clogged by muck, and when you stop it all falls to the bottom of the tank again, only for the same thing to happen some time later. As a temporary measure try blowing back through thre fuel line, there could be a partial blockage and this may just clear it.

Still make a note to clean the tank out as untill you do you'll almost certainly continue to have intermittent problems, probably at the most inopportune time................................

<hr width=100% size=1>