Falmouth Bass boat

graham

Visit site
I am considering a cruising dinghy. The obvious choice is the Wayfarer which would probably be ideal. I have seen a falmouth Bass boat on the webb and like the traditional look of it plus the option of lowering the main and sailing on mizzen and jib if caught out in a squall is very appealing.

Anyone owned or sailed one who could give me a bit of a review?

Leighb

Visit site
Have you considered a Devon Yawl?

Great boat for day sailing, and there is a variant with a cuddy, the Devon Dayboat. A number of owners have cruised them extensively.

They sail infinitely better than the Bass Boat or the Drascombes. Really good windward performance. They are stiff with a fairly high ballast ratio, due to the iron centreplate and some built in ballast as well.

If conditions merit they will also sail well with just the jib and mizzen. We used to do this when taking several kids out as it avoided any risk of someone getting clouted by the boom.

I am of course biased as I owned one for about 20 years and was Class secretary for 12. :D

CalicoJack

Visit site
Falmouth Bass Boat

We had the 16 ft version, they also did a 20ft version, which was the same design, just bigger. It was safe and easy to sail, our son first went afloat in it at six weeks; must have done him good as he's done two Tall Ships Races. Its nice to be able to get rid of the main and sail under just jib and mizzen.

We used to beach launch and recover. We found it easier to remove the rudder and motor it ashore as we were concerned about waves hitting the kicked up rudder blade and swinging the long tiller about.

I seem to remember we took it to lots of different places and made a tent for it which allowed us to sleep on it. I think a week of rain in the Solent was what caused us to sell it and buy something with a permanent cabin.

They were originally built in Penryn but ended up in Milton Keynes from memory, where they went bust. I used to have the address of the builder in MK who was very knowledgable and helpful.

We looked hard for about a year before choosing the Bass Boat, having rejected Drascombes etc.

Kelpie

Visit site
I am considering a cruising dinghy. The obvious choice is the Wayfarer which would probably be ideal. I have seen a falmouth Bass boat on the webb and like the traditional look of it plus the option of lowering the main and sailing on mizzen and jib if caught out in a squall is very appealing.

A wee word from a Wayfarer owner. If you would consider one 'ideal' then bear in mind it's a very different proposition to a Drascombe or Bass Boat. The Wayfarer will be faster and more exciting, and I would think much easier to launch and recover. The others are more like 'proper' boats. It depends what you want to do with it.

graham

Visit site
A wee word from a Wayfarer owner. If you would consider one 'ideal' then bear in mind it's a very different proposition to a Drascombe or Bass Boat. The Wayfarer will be faster and more exciting, and I would think much easier to launch and recover. The others are more like 'proper' boats. It depends what you want to do with it.

Thanks for all the replies.My short list at the moment seems to be Devon Yawl ,Falmouth Bass boat and the Wayfarer

I realize that the Wayfarer is more of a performance dinghy than the other two but having read one of Frank Dyes books I guess they must be seaworthy in the right hands.Ultimately it will depend on what is available when our present boat sells.

The lighter weight of the Wayfarer for launching and towing also appeals as we only have a medium size car.

lw395

Visit site
It depends what you mean by 'cruising'.
Wayfarers are the traditional choice for a cruising dinghy, but they are too heavy to carry, and generally too expensive to drag up a beach.
Best cruising I've ever done in a dinghy was an old 505, light enough to drag up the beach and cheap enough not to worry about it. We carried a tent in a plastic sack and dined in the pub!
Drascombes and Yawls are more 'trailer sailers' than dinghies imho, if you're going that route, then you're not far from getting something with bunks and a cooker, in terms of weight, price and commitment.
You need to have a plan about how and where you will use it before you can choose the ideal boat for your needs.
An old Dart might be fun, you could certainly cover some ground!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Sue and I cruised a Wayfarer with a boom tent for years. Superb sea boat and good performance to windward if rather wet in the Solent chop. On Handicap IIRC it is about the same as a full rigged Laser. To tame that performance you will need a small jib to replace the standard genoa if there is any wind about, and some method of reefing the main - we had slab reefing which was very quick and effective. She was heavy when fully loaded with cruising gear but easily launched and recovered by (as we were then) a pair of fit twenty somethings.
OTOH there has been a Devon Yawl on a drying mooring at our club for about 30 years and whenever she comes up for sale another member snaps her up immediately. She is also now equipped with a boom tent and makes a superb weekender. You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
0511d5682f1916b8abbaaa694d27a6cd.jpg

Sailfree

Visit site
A number of Wayfarers sailed to Denmark before completing in the European championships a few years ago and before that a few sailed to Ireland before the Worlds (we trailered ours on the Ferry).

Friend has been searching for a good Wayfarer for about 6 months for racing and now bought a wooden one. Cruising ones may be more readily available. With nearly 11000 built i would have expected them to be readily available secondhand but they seem to hold their value better than some dinghys and sell quickly if priced correctly.

We race a new Mk5 Wayfarer and also have a 43' Jeanneau deck saloon. Pleasure per £ the wayfarer wins easily! We only bought one in the first place to learn to sail before buying a bigger boat but SWMBO loves helming the wayfarer and racing it.

Romeo

Visit site

FWIW, in the flesh, I don't think the Bass Boat looks that traditional. Practical yes, but she does look a bit like a motor boat with a mast, rather than a sailing boat with a motor. Just saying. Not sailed in one, but there is one moored beside me.

It does seem to be a very safe and stable platform for the owner to take young nephews and neices out in. Sail in it rather than on it. Big capacity for stuff, won't get overpowered, and easy to move about in to reef. Just as good for adventures than the Wayfarer, but you won't get as far upwind in a day. In terms of having an adventure, that in my opinion does not matter. You simply plan your adventure to be within the capabilities of your boat.

A well set up trailer will get a Bass Boat in and out of the water with no difficulties, and a bass boat can be pulled behind a normal car. I have taken a Character Boats Lune Pilot on holidays for past few years, which is probably similar in weight to a Bass Boat. Much easier to tow and launch than a boat with bunks, and no harder to tow than a Wayfarer. However for launching, as the boat is not on a combi trailer, I tend to put her on the sand and let the tide come to her, rather than floating her on and off the trailer. Suspect a bass boat has a smaller draft anyway, so would probably roll off a trailer ok before the salt water got to the hubs.

I wear normal clothing in the character boat for my adventures, whereas by Wayfarer pals wear drysuits. I know what I prefer, but respect that others feel differently, especially when sitting brewing up on the shore as I come tacking into the bay.

SeaStu1

Visit site
Used to have a Falmouth Bass Boat (392 l think). It was a plodder rather than a racer but l knew that when l bought it. It was a heavy boat for recovery onto a trailer especially if the wind was too strong it became a handful. That said l liked the look of it and from then went on to buy a small cruiser as l wanted something l could go further in that had a lid on it! It needed very little maintenance compared to what l have now. Good luck with your choice.

times gone by

Visit site
What could be more practical and safer than a FBB ... the proof they say ...

wayfarer

lighter, cheaper, more practical

not as pretty

What could be more practical and safer than a FBB ... the proof they say ...
www.geocities.ws/falmouthbassboat/alaskaencounter.htm

I may be biased, but then, I did help to build TULUK for the two Mikes.... She was built in Penryn at GMP Yachts (prop Geoffrey Michael Pryce). Such a pity she had to be left ... I often wonder if she was ever 'acquired' by someone.