Fall in

Cliveshep

Visit site
Nice one, I really liked the overturning sloop, especially after a Westerly owner in Bembridge Haven (I.O.W.) impolitely demanded I put out fenders on my "slab-sided" mobo as "the duty of the craft coming alongside", and then said he "wouldn't go round the harbour in a bathtub like that". Mind you, when I tramped across his fordeck to put to sea the next day, the wind was slatting his rigging and he was all battened down, a head appeared asking "you're surely not going out in this?" Well, I was and I did (work next day).

Reminds me of a time at Hurley lock in the middle 70's as well, when a uniformed contingent from the "Andrew" (our Navy) drove a 40 odd foot hireboat full throttle out of the lock and straight into one of those socking great piles.

The deckie on the foredeck executed a perfect double over the bow with a coil of the bow line around one ankle, (action and reaction being as Newton's third law) but no one noticed for a bit, they were all by then looking over their shoulders as the skipper had gone, belately, full astern. They towed this poor chap ankle first for about 20 yards before our shouts alerted them to the problem.

And they are supposed to be professionals!