Fairline Phantom 40

G

I would be grateful for any opinions or advice as I am considering purchsing one as a first boat Many thanks in anticipation

G

Hi, Its a huge boat to have for your first boat! have you ever tried to skipper a boat of this size before? I think It would be better to start off with something a little smaller if its your first time using a boat! At least try and find a marina with lots of space!! other owners will not be too impressed if you go crashing into them because you cant handle something this big! also you may find insurance hard to get if you dont have any experience in handling boats.

Good Luck

Barry

PS. I have a lovely Flybridge Seamaster for sale, its 9.5mts (30') and it feels quite large a boat to handle and I have been boating for 12 years now. You can see it: www.seamasterclub.co.uk.

G

I would'nt agree with Barry. If it's the right size for you and your family, then go for it. The Phantom 40/42 is a popular model so it should look after your money, it has an Olesinski hull so it's a good sea boat, it's a Fairline so it should'nt fall apart. Get some 2-3 days intensive training on handling it, do a RYA Day Skipper course and then just go out and use it 'coz the best way to gain knowledge is thru' experience

G

Not having yet bought our first boat, I'm not too sure that I should enter the fray on this one but I have the following comments.

Our target first boat would be the new Fairline Phantom 43 because it would have the space and facilities that we want. Whilst it has crossed our minds about the size, it has not loomed large in our considerations. It's the size of boat that we want and it's the size that we'll learn in so we won't know anything any different.

I've enquired about insurance (remember: new, expensive, boat). Both places I've approached insist on experienced person in charge but I understand that an ICC would be quite OK. I'm told that 3 days' training should get that but we'll be doing a lot of theory training beforehand.

Barry, you've been boating for 12 years and feel that your 30 footer is large. I've just been given some old MBY magazines, starting with 1990 (not far off when you started). In those days it appears that boats were generally smaller than these days. For example, most Fairlines were in the 30 odd feet league with only a couple more than 40 foot so you might feel that a 30 footer is the sensible 'standard' length although someone starting boating today might feel the average is more like 40 foot.

Finally, I'm sure the 'for sale' bit of your posting slipped in entirely in error!

G

We have a '99 P42. Great boat, no real problems, would buy the same again.

IMHO it's not too big as a first boat, if you take tuition etc. Practise with an instructor, when no-one's looking, lots of fenders, you'll be fine. In marinas the secret is just to go really really slowly. Make sure the gear/throttle levers and cables are well serviced so they move and click easily, it is very difficult as a beginner to manouevre slowly and accurately in a marina if you're not sure what gear you're in.

And you will be glad you are in a 40 not a 30 when the sea gets a bit rough.

Good luck

G

Having just done what you are about to do I thought I would respond. I have bought a boat that I feel we can use. Its 40 feet and I did have the same reservations that have been expressed to you myself, but in the end decided that it was better to have the boat we wanted and learn in it. I can also say that in some ways smaller boats can be more difficult at times but I am sure I will have problems and I do not take the idea of putting to sea in a 40 foot boat lightly. But it does mean we have the accomodation we need and I hope to be in the boat for some time and use it for our family. I can only echo Mike's sentiment regarding the make and tyo of boat you are using. Personally I decided to go for a Princess V40 (no flybridge) because I felt able to be more in control and easier to keep an eye on the kids. I have had training and I think good one to one training is essential. But there is no substitute for experience. Where are you planning to keep her?

Attachments

• 4445.jpg
    4445.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4446.jpg
    4446.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1
G

I agree and disagree, 40ft is a large boat but if that is the size that meets you requirements why not.

I've seen and heard of guys in 36ft+ boats that take it out for the first time and scare themselves and then see that boat permanently moored. Last year saw a guy trying to moor up for the first time in a new 37ft boat and got the bow thrusters all wrong and ended up banging off other boats and shouting at his family, not seen them since and the boat still there.

RM.

G

Targa 30

Mine for sale if you decide to go smaller!

Send me a mail or speak to my broker Marine Sales.

Happy boating, Pete

G

I am sure you will do your training first, take a look at hire boats to see what happens to in-experienced boaters. Be careful in your first force 6 it can be very frightening. Good luck.

G

Re: Fairline Phantom 40 - further question

Thanks for your replies - but I obviously worded my question very badly. It did not even cross my mind that a 40 would be too big (I took ICC on a 43 and mainly in force 4/5s). I would like to know exactly how a Phantom 40 compares to other similar boats, eg Phantom 37 Princess XX? or Sealine 360 and so on, and which would be most suitable to start with. Should I view it like buying a house where one buys on the basis of what one sees, or is it as I imagine more like buying a car where there are considerable tecnical differences between similar looking vehicles. If the latter, then how does an inexperienced novice judge it all - it's a lotta lotta money after all The boat reports in the mags all seem to me to mainly consist of descriptions that would be appropriate to sales brochures rather than critical comment.

G

Thanks for all the replies and I have replied generally today. We looked at a V40 last week - it's a beauty! However, we thought that if we want to spend some time on board then a flybridge would be more suitable as there not as much space below in the V40 saloon? and you're not certain of the UK weather to use the wonderful cockpit Has this proved to be a problem?

G

We looked at it from this point of view. If the Weather conditions were poor then we were unlikely to be taking the boat out. We intednded (and Have) used the boat during the Winter months and with the heating turned up it is extremely comfortable. We leave the canopy up but remove the windshields and this means we can use the cokcpit area. I felt that short flybridge boats gave you less room to enjoy the weather when it was good and I feel 40 is shortish for a flybridge. Also I think at that length they tend to be a bit top heavy. My main concernd was however being able to keep an eye on my relatively young family which I felt was more difficult on a Fly Bribge.

Good Luck If you are around Poole and wanted to look at my V40 (which is not for sale!!) email me and I would be pleased to show you round.