Fairline Factory visit tomorrow

G

I'm down to go to this Fairline "factory visit" tomorrow (Wed 23rd) in Oundle or somewhere. Anyone from here also going? Anyone been before - is it any good? I'm a bit busy so in two minds whether to make time and go, or just push e-paper round the office as usual. If I do go, anyone here want me to get any info from the Fairline boys and girls? Don't worry, I'll bond with them first, I say I applied to both Lanclustre Poly and Coventry whasname but got rejected for being too thick, and I'll praise them for clever ideas like sticking the vinyl-on-plywood headlinings to the boat with self adhesive velcro pads so they drop on your head when you move more than 15 inches off the pontoon, and mounting those nice green engines on blobs of silicone. Then I can ask harder questions like T52 boarding procedures, why not a 3-cab Squad52 etc (actually Matt the S52 has a small cabin possible in the utility room plus the crew cab in the laz, making 4 altogether I think), leather(ette?) dashboards, why you can slam lock the Phantom patio doors from the outside while doing 25knots on the inside helm but with no-one inside the boat eeek. Anyway let me know any questions.

G

Re: Fairline Factory visit

I went to the site in Corby a few years ago. The hulls are made by a lot of ex-steel workers with little rollers like the ones from B+Q in a very resin-stinky warehouse that will leave you gasping for air. Elsewhere, the furniture and fit-out was being made by lots of people with 240v power tools, at a time when we'd replaced all our stuff with safer 110v, and you can wander anywhere you like, tripping over in more than one.

I can't say that I learnt anything from the trip, and I don't know why they offer it. It's hardly as if you could be encouraged, emboldened or better informed afterwards. Because they date from the seventies, the poster boards give vague details of bonus schemes, dependent upon unknown criteria. I would be interested to hear what you think.

G

Hmmmmm.....kinda puts me off going. I was expecting CNC wood cutters producing furniture untouched by human hand etc etc. I'll thk about it, will post back on Friday with results if I go. Can see your point though, Italian yards sre the way to go, bit like cars really.....!

G

Oh, could you get me some nice self adhesive Fairline logo's and some matching gel-coat for my '86 Mirage? I've asked them half a dozen times by 'phone and the first few times they said "no trouble Sir, we'll put some in the post f.o.c". When I then chased them up due to non arrival I was actually told to "xxxx off and stop bothering us, we don't keep records of boats more than about 5 yrs old".

G

Revenge on Fairline schmucks

Colin mate they've no business treating you like that. I'll take my penknife and prise you off a full set of Squaddie 62 badges and decals. Also some girlie brochures in recompense. Gelcoat might be tricky but I'll try my best.