Fairline Corniche

G

I am new to boating and have recently bought a Fairline Corniche fitted with 2 BMW diesals with out drives. Has anybody any information to pass onto me? I am looking for a Handbook to either purchase or copy any offers? Being a new user I am also looking for any written matter that might be of interest, books mags. etc.

byron

RIP
Visit site
I doubt if there is such a thing as a handbook on the craft although B.A.Peters may be able to help you. You don't say what year she is, I can tell you that in 1989 they cost about £55,000 plus VAT.

ô¿ô

david_steward

Visit site
Re: BMW Diesels & Outdrives?

Good luck coz they have a suspect reputation. BMW made a short lived foray into the marine market back in the 80's. The engines were underdeveloped for the marine environment and the outdrives worse. Mercruiser did take over the engine block but still had problems with it. I hope you got the boat cheap because it will be hard to sell with that set up.

The boats have a much better reputation but they can be a bit stern heavy with outdrives.

Sorry for the doom mongering.

Dave S

Dave S

Chris_d

Visit site
Re: BMW\'s

Your bound to get some response's slagging the BMW engines and drives, none of this is very sound in my experience. I.ve run a BMW engine and drive for 6 years with no problems all I've done is service it. The early problems with the drives were quickly solved except they are susceptable to corrosion, make sure you have hull anodes fitted that are near the drives, then you should have no problems, they also seem to be much easier to work on than the equivalent Volvo drive. The diesels had some overheating problems due to poor heatexchangers, but most have now been upgraded to the later Mercruiser spec which is the same engine, try contacting Peter Humphries at PH Marine at Wargarve on the Thames, he is most helpful with BMW's.
But like any piece of machinary thats been left dangled in water for the last 13-14 years it will need careful checking.

On the whole a Corniche is an excellent boat, although they go better with twin 200's than the BMWs twin 165's, but its not disasterous still 18-20kts cruising.
At least the BMW's should have got you a bargain, normaly 10K less than the Volvo versions, that will pay for a lot of cruising, enjoy!

byron

RIP
Visit site

Dave, I suspect this boat is or was 'Carol Michelle' which was on offer at Val Wyatts. If so the previous owner had her for some considerable time and as far as I am aware had no trouble with her at all. She was mainly used on the Thames with only occasional forays to sea.... MikeT what you think? you know the boat if it is the same one.

ô¿ô

Sirus

Visit site

Was going to buy one from lincoln marine for 42K untill put off by a few people,shame because I really like them...

ccscott49

Visit site
The BMW disels are actually VM diesels, italian, fitted to range rovers aswell, not the same number of cylinders as yours I suspect, they do not have a wonderful reputation, however I've worked on them and they seem well put together, the oil rail on top of the engine is a weak piont and sometimes fractures, its an absolute swine to change, they also suffer with cylinder head problems. Seperate heads, They do like to be looked after and I think most of the problems have arisen from abuse. Get a GOOD engine man to have a look at them for you. Otherwise, nice boat, have fun!

G

Thanks for the comments, the boat was bought from Lincoln, she is a tidy boat not needing much doing to her apart from some slight mods such as converting the front bedroom from the two singles to one double. Anyone had experience of doing the conversion?
The only problem I have mechanically is when the engines start there is a cloud of white smoke from the starboard engine and it misfires until this has cleared. Once the smoke has cleared they run sweet with no knocks and no smoke, has anyone had the same experience and can let me know where to start before I start taking the fuel system to bits?
Does anyone know what mods Mercruiser did to the engine and are they worth doing?

ccscott49

Visit site
White smoke, is normally water in the cylinders or fule, but not always. I would have a close look at the engines, water in the cylinders, was one of the known problems, they should not misfire then clear, there is a problem somewhere. Get an engineer, who knows these beasts, please.

oldgit

Visit site
just a quick comment when you first went to look at the boat were the engines started from cold or had they been "warmed up" before inspection?.

miket

Visit site

Won't be Carole Michelle, Byron.
She was on shafts.

There was a mod' for the early BMW 180hp engines, which included oil coolers or something. Mercruiser bought the BMW diesels and they became Mercruiser 180's etc...
I had the Mercruiser 180's in my Broom 33, and they were excellent. Very quiet and smooth and almost totally smoke free, on river. They took us to Normandy in 2000, without a whimper.

G

Looking back I think they must have been warmed up as they knew when I was arriving to look at the boat. Something to bear in mind for the next time.

G

Is the water in the cyclinders from porous liners, cylinder head gaskets or cracked cylinder heads?