Fairing in keel

SteveB_Sigma33

Visit site
Just getting rid of all of the old plastic padding and filler around the joing between my keel and the hull.

What do other forumites use to fair their keels in?

I am planning to use a bit of sica flex to form a waterproof gasket then I am not sure whether to use Plastic padding again or use marine filler.

Any suggestions?

michael_w

Visit site
Epoxy + colloidal sillica + low density filler/microballons. Also known as "bog". Make it good 'n stiff so it doesn't slump. Get fill as smooth as possible, saves hours of sanding.

mbay

Visit site
Agree, on our first lift out 3yrs ago my cast iron keel had been faired in with plastic padding which had cracked and come loose in some places. speaking to some people they informed me it would be an anual job no matter what i faired the keel with, however I was given an epoxy filler from a mate in the yards and used that, 3yrs on it has not cracked or come loose anywhere on the keel.

martinb

Visit site
Use epoxy, Plastic Padding or other automotive fillers are not suitable for use below the waterline. I used a pre-prepared exoxy filler, can't remeber the name but it came in two tins, and a shaped aplicator to get the desired radius. It took a couple of two hour sessions on a somilar sized keel to a Sigma 33.

Martin