Expanding Foam

G

I am considering filling my bouyancy compartments on my cat with foam. Has anyone done similiar Can I use standard Bulders expanding foam or do I need a more specilised type. If so what type. Will I require to seal the foam afterwards to stop any ingress of water

Thanks in anticipaton

Dave R

G

You should consult a veterenary surgeon first otherwise expect the R.S.P.C.A at your door!

G

Re: Holds Water.

it seems that your good idea doesn't hold water LOL

Seriously though, builders foam isnt a good idea, you need a two part foam that expands to a closed cell structure. You need to do a bit of research and to talk to manufacturers to establish what would be best for your purpose.

G

If you mean those aerosol cans it might be an expensive way of buying. You should be able to buy 2 components in litre cans which are mixed in equal volumes then quickly poured into the spaces to be filled. The voids above the ballast in my bilge keels were done like that and then sealed off with two layers of glass mat. I also filled the ends of a (wooden) canoe. When I bought it it was supplied by Strand Glass. So suggest you try glass fibre and resin suppliers. The stuff in the buiders merchants foams by reation with moisture which may not be appropriate in your case and may not work in large enclosed spaces whereas the 2 can stuff foams by the reaction between the components. hope that helps a little.

Perhaps someone knows how the voids are filled in unsinkable yachts like Sadler 26 & 29.

If you do as I suggest, get a data sheet as this will tell you how much the stuff expands.

G

Holds Water.

Don't waste your time. If water gets in, the foam will retain water and will be impossible to dry out. If you need reserve boyancy, better to fill the hulls with lots of sealed plasic drink bottles etc.

G

Like the idea as it would raise the floor level of what - from a weight point of view - would be wasted space unless it was used for something bulky and light. Let me know the result of enquiries please.

New Cat owner.

G

Whatever you do,DON'T use builders foam!!!!!!!reasons to many to mention.

G

Re: Foam filling of voids

Use polyurethane closed-cell foam in a two-part mix. Don`t fill the void in one mix, several shots are safer and won`t pop the bulkeads or whatever. Polyethene/ polyethylene closed cell foam is used by one major powerboat builder for engine bearers and internal girders. DON`T USE ANY BUILDERS FOAMS- THEY NEED MOISTURE TO REACT AND (MOST/ ALL?) ARE NOT CLOSED CELL BUT OPENCELL LIKE SPONGES. A brand which comes to mind is Clocell. BOL.

G

With regard to the two-part foam - which is good stuff.

Trying to thoroughly mix the two parts of the foam and then pour it into an opening, is tricky, as the foam, if properly mixed is very quick to expand. For an acessable void it is better if you can put your respective quantities into say a plastic container, secure the container in the void, make a long stirrer to fit into your drill using say a length of straight wire, give the mix a good stir with the drill and then stand back.

Whatever way you do it be aware that the foam needs to be mixed properly if it is to work properly and when it is mixed properly - it expands quickly. So then trying to pour it into a small hole doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

G

Re: Expanding Foam Source

I have used two part foam which I purchased from Glassplies. I found it easy to useThey advertise in the exchange and mart.

G

Expanding foam has tremendous expansion powers. If you use it in too large a quantity at a time you can literally burst your boat open.

BE VERY CAREFUL!

I posted a similar request recently to try and find the PROPPER STUFF because a two-part foam I had used, some years ago, below the deck on a Suntrip was not SEALED cell or may be it did/does not work. After two years the foam became entirely waterlogged.

floresmarteen

Visit site
Expansion foam is a product which aims to expand and harden on contact with air. Most companies list of proposed and recommended that clearly makes use of the products in the packaging, although some consumers may think outside the box when it comes to ways to benefit from the expansion of the foam.