EXCEL didn't!

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
EXCEL didn\'t!

I will never go to the LBS again, at least while it is London's East End.
We left holm in Gloucestershire at 0630 and arrived at the exhibition at 1200. The only sign we saw for Excel was less than half a mile away and the only sign for the park and ride car park was at the entrance to the park and ride car park. And what a
car park; wade through the puddles and grope in the dark to find the car;- primitive.
Friends who last year went to Excel, took the train, stayed overnight, left London at 1000 and arrived home (near us) at 1900. So that appears a poor option.
Leaving to get to the West End for a reunion, the A13 was stationary with U-turns being the order of the day, and we ended up going round the North Circular!
For my money, the NEC would be the best venue and the parking is a dream.
There or Southampton if we have to go again but Excel not a happy experience. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

roberth

Visit site
Re: EXCEL didn\'t!

Sounds like you need to get up earlier in the mornings! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, can't imagine Earls Court being any more convenient.

I thought LBS was excellent - so good will be going back for a second bite this Saturday (admittedly first ticket was a freebie).

Unlike the scrum of Earls Court, there is plenty of room - I found the whole experience much more relaxing, which is probably why I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped on the first visit. Southampton struggling to compare now in my view - although weather last year didn't help.

Robert

charon

Visit site

That's a shame, getting messed about like that. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The trains up East Midlands were clobbered with industrial action so I drove down from South Lincs at 05.30, expecting alarums and delays and arrived at Excell's eastern car park at 07.30! So I had a kip till 10.00 and walked the 50 yards to the door. I left at 17.35 and was home at 19.15. My route was A1, A14, M11, A406, A13. A milk run. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fastjedi

Visit site

We made the trip from SW Gloucestershire on Saturday ..... It most certainly is a pain to get to ..... Left home at 7:00 and arrived at 10:00 and departed at 4:00, home at 7:30 .... knackered!!

Sounds like you were unlucky, but it is a great venue .... go on, give in one more chance!

AlexL

Visit site
it did for me!

If you went sun / mon /tues then the traffic was a nightare as the A13 / M25 junction was gridlocked and the tunnel closed due to a massive roadside fire(which was still smoking about an hour ago when i drove past it on the way home from work.), so all the traffic had to go through the blackwall tunnel and clogged up the A13 - Hardly Excels fault.
I know what you mean about the signs for the car park -they were pretty poor, as was the parking, a whole lot better than earls court though! and no worse than the rediculous NEC park and ride system either.however Excel itself is signed from the A13 and A406 so if you follow the signs you drive past the car park - so not difficult and the directions on the website and the map in the magazines was absolutely perfect - even with pictures of the road sign at each junction.

I'm not sure the NEC is any better - in fact I'm pretty sure its the worst of the lot. I know I'm biased as I live in the south-east and london is not geographically central but it is 'population' central as almost 1/2 the UK population live in and around london. Also the NEC is about as far from the water as its possible to get, and is the worst of the three in terms of evenings entertainment.

I cannot personally see the issue with the evening entertainment bit - OK if you're working at the show it may be a drag to go into London every night. but for a visitor Excel is 10 minutes tube ride or 10-15 minutes drive from the centre of one of the most vibrant cities on the planet! We left the show at 6.30pm saturday and were parked up and strolling around covent garden well before 7pm.

Colin_S

Visit site
Re: it did for me!

[ QUOTE ]
We left the show at 6.30pm saturday and were parked up and strolling around covent garden well before 7pm.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty good going - hope the postman doesn't bring you a speeding ticket courtesy of the Limehouse Link Tunnel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Direction signs were rubbish tho..............

Went on sunday.No problem coming from Kent.Drove straight there parked in some hotel car park(8 quid) or other and walked last 100m to west entrance.No waiting.
Left around 5pm and although traffic was heavy due to warehouse fire went throught Blackwall tunnel without monster delay.Loads of interesting stuff to explore and room to move,went on all the boats that interested me without problem.Excellent venue for winter do as is Southampton for the summer.

Talbot

Visit site

Poor sign posting for car parking - I expect tthat this is a repeat of last year, which was eventually tracked down to being caused by Red Ken who had refused to allow any assistance to those people coming by car, on the basis that they should use mass transportation like bus or car . Stupid barsteward

mehei

Visit site

We will not go again!
Up 5am
Taxi at 6am Belfast city toLondon city via Isle of Man depart 7am
Five minutes from IoM STB ENGINE PROBLEMS back to Belfast!
Note this service costs £430 two people fly only
Depart Belfast 10 30am to GATWICK then bus arrive LBS 13 30PM!!
This was on preview day ticket costs £46!!
Hilton docklands Thur night /Fri am no hot water!! Costs!!!!!!!!!
Friday very late home ? flight delayed,
We will NOT go again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenwichman

Visit site

Go by train, much easier. From Paddington take tube to Baker Street, Jubilee Line to Canning Town, then the magic DLR; and Robert's your mother's brother. No hassles on motorway, no puddles in car park and time to read Sailing Today all the way (who wants IPC anyway?). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Re: EXCEL did for me

Must have been lucky

went on sat left 7:45 m6 m1, a14,m11 north circ, turn right, arrive 10:30

same journey time home bound. took 15 min car park to start of m11 back home 18:00

Use to take 2 hrs from parents house in tun wells to earls court!

wouldn't consider train as fares for one exceed fuel bill never mind the time / changes etc

Seemed a small drive compared to the normal 550km & 12hr shift

LaurenceK

Visit site
Re: EXCEL did for me

Having attended Earls Court both as a visitor and an Exhibitor for many years I think Excel is by far the better venue.

Lots more space. Better (and cheaper) food outlets. Better parking. Good access at least from the S coast.

I was very sceptical when the move was made but now I am a complete convert.

Give it another try next year.

Cotillion

Visit site
Re: EXCEL DID!

There in an hour instead of the three it used to take to Earls Court. Better venue all round and Mrs. Cotillion bought me an auto helm. Probably means she wont be coming out so much which means I'll have to take more responsibility in the galley but I wont have to reef until 22knots of wind instead of 18.

kim

muminator

Visit site

Ok, you can say we shouldn't have to pay for a sales event, fair enough.

But we went up there for two days, had a great time, got a lot of information that we couldn't have easily got any other way, got some good deals on things we needed, which easily covered (and more) our entry tickets. Met some firends we hadn't expected to see, had a damn good laugh, and came home having had a good winter fix of sailing goodies. Even took in a great West End show that we probably wouldn't have come up to see otherwise.

Worth the ticket price for us, I think.

Sue