evinrude 4hp re-assembly

tjfmmaes

Visit site
I have an evinrude 4hp, 2 cyl, 2 stroke outboard, recently acquired, can't tell you the age but it is not new. As it was overheating, I dropped the drive unit to check the impeller, which was fine but the waterinlet was clogged up. Duly cleaned that and now it was time for re-assembly. That was last Sunday and I still haven't managed it. I know about the main tricks about holding it vertical, rotating the propeller until the drive shaft engages etc, but my main problem seems to be the gear linkage rod which will not engage properly into the gear box. I have tried doing this without the drive shaft and impeller housing and that, after some wiggling and achieving the right angle, worked i.e. the link rod slid in. With the driveshaft and impeller re-attached, however, it seems to be impossible as the driveshaft prevents me from getting the right angle and the impeller housing also prevents proper re-entry.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated as summer seems to be leaving us fast and I'd like to get some enjoyment out of this.

Thanks

Thomas

<hr width=100% size=1>

chippie

Visit site
I have worked on a 6HP which I think is similar. the gear linkage rod was joined by a brass collar with two screws in it. Does yours have this? There is a short rod exiting from the gearbox. this rod has a groove all the way around it just down from its top. The brass collar goes over this and the screw goes through the groove , the screw on the long rod is located in the same way. The collar is visible and accessible when the gearcase is split from the leg. Take note of the way the screws are facing and make sure they go back the same way. You should get away with only undoing one and leaving the other fixed.

With a bit of luck your 4HP will be like this.

Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Assuming it is similar to the 6 HP you will need to bend open a little the part which is clamped together when you tighten the screw.
The trick is that the gear shift shaft femerging from the pump housing area will have 3 positions forward neutral and reverse one of which has the shaft extended to thye greatest amount. Next you move the gear selector to that position where the top shaft is extended downward tto the greatest extent. This should leave a gap where you can with the aid of a 1/4 drive socket get the screw in and clamp up the coupling. ( having connected the coolling pipe and the drive shaft. When you bolt the bottom assembly on you can move the gear lector to the other position which will pull the 2 assemblies together. I am guessing this may be the trick you need forgive me if it is more complex and difficult. Put lots of grease on all the screws.

<hr width=100% size=1>