Europe Inland - C-map coverage ?

srm

Visit site
Hello,

Am planning a possible trip through Europe from the north Netherlands to the Med.

Question: will the C-map Max charts provide equivalent information to the various national paper based publications - (ie Navicart etc)? Comments based on first hand experience of using both will be the most helpful thanks.

I have looked at the source lists on the Jeppersens web site, but at scales of 1:50,000 and larger they mostly list 'Tresco Inland S57' along with a file number which is not very helpful when trying to discover the data source.

Thanks.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Inland waterways plotters

I've used c-map type electronic charts when sailing and found them really useful. I'm not sure about their coverage of inland waterways and the level of detail they provide - there is an electronic chart system that commercial barges and ships use inland, plus a plaisancier system from EurEauWeb " . . SatNav map, guide and route planner - Full navigation and service information for 9,500km of waterways in France. Plus the route planning function throughout the 22,500km of waterways in Western Europe . . " costs £160 incl. VAT (tax) / 255$ / 180€
To be honest I think they're inappropriate for the nature of pleasure craft inland cruising. At the one time they are more sophisticated than is really necessary (at a normal cruising speed of 6kph, through the countryside, one tends to know where one is, and if one doesn't it's not that critical. Your car's satnav could provide you with much the same. At the same time they're probably not detailed enough to advise on changes of depth, width, upcoming lock configurations, etc. (I except the EurEauWay system from that comment).
For me, it's potentially quite a lot of money, boats don't move so fast that consulting a printed navigation guide (Breil or Fluviacarte) isn't possible, most waterways are not that complicated on the water - and I like printed maps and guides - I like using them and I like seeing them on my shelves!

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I really cannot see a good reason to use electronic charts for the european waterways. They simply do not lend themselves to a quick browse in the evening over a glass of wine or looking up the next fuel point whilst you are waiting in a lock..

The full navicarte/fluvial set of charts are in the process of being updated but you can get most of them via my web site at French prices...

Michael