Europe Double Handed races

truscott

Visit site
How does one find out which clubs around Europe have Doublehanded races? (I'm aware that this is primarily a UK based forum, but beg your indulgence).

I can find info on one or two events like the Transmanche and Rolex Middle Sea Race on Google, and read comments that the scene is rapidly expanding, etc... but yet can't find anything like a schedule of events per country, or by month, etc...

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to find the info I'm after?

Cheers, PT

Cariadco

Visit site
How does one find out which clubs around Europe have Doublehanded races? (I'm aware that this is primarily a UK based forum, but beg your indulgence).

I can find info on one or two events like the Transmanche and Rolex Middle Sea Race on Google, and read comments that the scene is rapidly expanding, etc... but yet can't find anything like a schedule of events per country, or by month, etc...

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to find the info I'm after?

Cheers, PT
Lots of info on ORC's website.

PurpleKate

Visit site
I've never seen a European calendar for Doublehanded races. I run the UK Doublehanded Series.
UK has plenty of Offshore races DH - RORC, JOG, RWYC and this year there is AZAB ( Azores and Back) run by the RCYC.

I'm aware there is a DH series out of St Malo and of course plenty of DH racing in the rest of France

You might be interested in the IRC Doublehanded Europeans - a new championship organised by SNT and RORC - Mix of the La Trinte - Cowes race and the Cowes- St Malo - 2nd July . That should be a very competitive mix of the best British and best French 2H boats.

Barcelona is hosting an ORC DH Worlds in September

There is a DH tour of Italy - Nastro Rosa in Chartered Figaro 3 - the events are Mixed, Euros, Worlds to get the boats from Genoa to Venice then and a non stop tour of Italy from Venice back to Genoa.

truscott

Visit site
Thanks for the contributions.

Hopefully it all goes to helping future Google searcher's.

Sadly even though we are both proud Antipodean's, we are unlikely to be sailing in Oz or NZ anytime soon.

We have been looking to base ourselves in France which is why I asked the question from a European perspective. Nice to see an active UK/French scene.

Cheers, PT

Birdseye

Visit site
Thats devotion Flaming, driving from say Suffolk to the Hamble for a few hours racing ! M25 and all. Further for you than it would be for me travelling from SE Wales.

dunedin

Visit site
All south coast! Doent the rest of us exist?
Actually double handed racing could be just the answer to revive some of the very depleted yacht racing fleets round the rest of the UK, if the locals chose to get their act together and promote seriously.
It is much easier to organise 2 people to go racing than a crew of 8-10. Surely it would be easy to organise a series of events around Wales, the Clyde etc.

truscott

Visit site
Our club here has a well attended double handed series throughout the year. Many of the boats racing also race in the fully crewed series (as well as the Wednesday night pursuit race). We enjoy all the racing but are aware of how hard it is to recruit crew and that is on a smallish boat! We are looking to move on soon (been working here for way too long and only came here to top up the cruising kitty. Now find that a return to cruising isn't that appealing anymore, so life ashore somewhere looms). We realize that we will face the same crew issues wherever we pitch up, so the Double Handed stuff appeals. Finding clubs that have similar sailing series to what we currently have now is the challenge.

flaming

Visit site
Thats devotion Flaming, driving from say Suffolk to the Hamble for a few hours racing ! M25 and all. Further for you than it would be for me travelling from SE Wales.
3 hours on a good run. 9 is my all time worst.

I am starting to wonder if the word “hobby” doesn’t really do my relationship with racing justice.
Obsession might be closer to the truth.

awol

Visit site
Actually double handed racing could be just the answer to revive some of the very depleted yacht racing fleets round the rest of the UK, if the locals chose to get their act together and promote seriously.
It is much easier to organise 2 people to go racing than a crew of 8-10. Surely it would be easy to organise a series of events around Wales, the Clyde etc.
The CCC tried to promote a 2-handed series last year which had 10 races. Round Mull and WHYW have 2-handed classes. There has been the FYC 2-handed race round Arran/Holy Isle and the CCC Ailsa Craig Race for many a year now but uptake for all is very low. Maybe you would like to join in?