EU healthcare - any solutions?

[29051]

Visit site
However, you don't seem to be able to buy this cover on its own as EHIC will cover me when I am there (the main hospital is 100m from the hotel).

We had a similar problem, just wanting to cover a flotilla booking against us having to cancel. The nearest thing we could get was EHICPlus. They are nothing to do with the EHIC scheme, but they will insure you on the basis that any medical treatment you need will be via your EHIC card. They do not pay out for private hospital bills. They do cover other expenses including repatriation or cancellation. They might be worth you trying.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Tranona;6208393 So going to Corfu for a week later this month. Best quote so far is just under £800! My only concern is having to cancel the holiday before we start as I have paid fares and hotel up front. However said:
Sounds like you are going to Gouvia, weather is wonderful here at the moment and nice and quiet

jordanbasset

Visit site
Yes. Staying at Hotel Telesilla. First time since 2010. Taking grandchildren. Hope the weather holds and Easyjet does not do a Ryanair on us!

I think you will be okay with Easyjet, have a great holiday, you probably know it's a nice Hotel used by lots of yachties at the beginning and end of the season. Don't know if it will still be on when you get here but they have an Elvis night one day of the week, not sure if that is good or bad:D

Tranona

Visit site
I think you will be okay with Easyjet, have a great holiday, you probably know it's a nice Hotel used by lots of yachties at the beginning and end of the season. Don't know if it will still be on when you get here but they have an Elvis night one day of the week, not sure if that is good or bad:D

Yes, been going there for 20 years or so, even when we had the boat there it was a regular dinner spot. Grandchildren loved it, particularly sweeping up the smashed plates. Bit grown up now so highlight for the older one will be a trip across to Albania to see the Butrint site.

Will avoid the Elvis night.

lindsay

Visit site
I subscribe to Parsifals philosophy.

l also looked up EHICPlus. It looks too good to be true if you limit yourself to Europe and EEA. A couple of hundred quid at my age which opens up possibility of binning my current private insurance costing 3,200 plus 2,500 waiver pus 6 week NHS limit. On the basis that if it seems that good it can't be, anyone know how it works out in practice??

Flica

Visit site
I subscribe to Parsifals philosophy.

l also looked up EHICPlus. It looks too good to be true if you limit yourself to Europe and EEA. A couple of hundred quid at my age which opens up possibility of binning my current private insurance costing 3,200 plus 2,500 waiver pus 6 week NHS limit. On the basis that if it seems that good it can't be, anyone know how it works out in practice??

It only covers you for NON-health related issues.
Having used French, Spanish, Italian, Croatian and Greek medical services under the EHIC, over the last 25 years, I would not consider health insurance (which would be unobtainable at my age and condition), except as a sign of conspicuous consumption.

[29051]

Visit site
We checked out a lot of reviews for it before we bought it, but didn't have to claim so can't say any more than that. It does cover health related issues (obviously pre-existing conditions must be declared), but does not cover private treatment. We really only wanted it to cover if we had to cancel for health reasons after paying the full holiday cost. At the time it was realistically a choice of that or nothing.

Tranona

Visit site
We checked out a lot of reviews for it before we bought it, but didn't have to claim so can't say any more than that. It does cover health related issues (obviously pre-existing conditions must be declared), but does not cover private treatment. We really only wanted it to cover if we had to cancel for health reasons after paying the full holiday cost. At the time it was realistically a choice of that or nothing.

I tried it, but does not accept any serious medical conditions. Have now got a range of quotes varying from £3-800, but even the cheapest is really not worth having for a week's trip. I have paid about £1000 (air fares and hotel) up front for 3 or us (the quotes covered all 3) but once you take into account the excesses that (£250 for the cheapest ones) apply to each member of the party for each claim item it is really not worth it.

So will not be bothering with it.

tcm

Visit site
I was sailing off Anguilla last year and a crew dislocated their shoulder. Called and went to French St Martin, ambulance on the dock, blue flashing lights to the hospital, straight into treatment while i ticked the “no insurance” boxes ... all fixed within an hour and the bill including slings and pills was 107 euros. So not sure of how necessary it is for medical insurance.,..

macd

Visit site
I was sailing off Anguilla last year and a crew dislocated their shoulder. Called and went to French St Martin, ambulance on the dock, blue flashing lights to the hospital, straight into treatment while i ticked the “no insurance” boxes ... all fixed within an hour and the bill including slings and pills was 107 euros. So not sure of how necessary it is for medical insurance.,..

I had much the same treatment when I broke a few ribs in another part of France.