EU Emission Regulations

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
'Everybody knows' that new 2-stroke outboards no longer comply with, and therefore cannot be approved for use within the EU ...

Well - I thought I'd check out the wording - but got myself a headache in the process. There are just so many EU Directorates concerning emissions standards, that I'm having difficulty finding exactly the right one - can anyone assist ?

I did find one that talked about engines <18Kw being exempt, as were engines for ships, and engine fitted to - or designed for - classic vessels. But dunno if it's the latest dictat. Hence my post on here.

DownWest

Visit site
From what I remember, it was too expensive to get 2Ts in the smaller sizes to comply. In the bigger ones, fuel injection and electronic management enable them to comply. Not wanting a head-ache, I can't help on where to find the specific reg/directives. But they do/did not outlaw them, just the emissions problem. Easier to make people buy 4T.

2T jet skis are awful polluters, are they banned yet? (drifting a bit)

Latestarter1

Visit site
All pretty much tied up in the 2004 RCD.

The issue is a really a commercial one. US EPA legislation is FAR more difficult to achieve than our own weak kneed RCD joke stuff. Two cycle gasoline motors have a real problem, THC (Total Hydrocarbon) and paticulate emissions are very high. Scavenging losses will always make fuel economy worse. Nox emissions are actaually better than four cycle. However as I said it is commercial, if the Worlds largest marine market has nailed the two cycle outboard then regardless of RCD stuff there ain't no decent products out there.

Not quite sure why OP is getting too hung up on this unless he is a retailer of marine engines, as it is all covered by any non compliant stuff (if there is any) being a prohibited import. If you have found a source of new Yamaha Malta engines and they have escaped the HMRC on the way into the country I am up for one!