'ere Mister, wozzat noise?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
\'ere Mister, wozzat noise?

Indigo's first sail of the season yesterday. Above 5kts she produced a sound that can best be described as a bit like the noise a phone makes when you leave it off the hook. A distinct 'electronic' tone which didn't change in pitch with speed fluctuations. Impossible to pinpoint source. Not electric (turned off battery master switch) and checked things like h/held GPS, mobile phones, h/held vhf. No individual stay or shroud seemed to be vibrating. Ear against the mast could hear it, but not strongly. Could be heard below decks and in the cockpit, but not on deck.

Never done it before. What's changed since last season? Underwater, nothing except antifouling, anode, clean prop, new screws in rudder fitting. Rig - new back stay adjuster, new spinnaker halyard, new pole topping lift, new boom topping lift, new genoa. Mast has not been out of the boat, shroud and stay tensions have not been fiddled with.

If it happens all season it's going to be v annoying.

Anybody experienced/cured similar?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

graham

Visit site
Re: \'ere Mister, wozzat noise?

Couldnt be rudder vibration could it?? Try putting the point of a long screwdriver against suspect items and your ear up against the blunt end see if this amplifies it in your ear and pinpoints the prob.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Re:Don`t Twisters

Don`t Twisters all do that before they fall apart,But please ,do not worry there are lots of good Jen/ Bens / and Bavs out there. cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

B

bob_tyler

Does it happen with the prop rotating freely and when it's locked?

<hr width=100% size=1>

coachone

Visit site

if you have altered the backstay length, you may have altered the harmonic vibration frequency too...try tying a cloth tightly round each of stays/halyards in turn, this will act as a damper and might identify it .
>>>it worked with my spectra topping lift.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site

Many a night on board I'v got my head down only to be awoken by the sound of the topping lift
vibrating,
"If I remember to" I put a short strop on to the back stay to take the weight of the boom for
the night,
The hull tends to act as a strumbox !
The effect can be quite nerve rendering , Got to admit the first couple of times it occured it had me beat as to what it was !

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site

G'day Ken,

Sounds like 'someone' forgot to let the topping lift off.

Try letting a bit of mainsheet out next time, this also works at anchor.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

tcm

Visit site

buzzing noise that doesn't vary with speed, but only above 5 knots. Are you sure the electric off switches are fully off? I mean, disconnect battery for example. Could be summink like anchor winch (issat lectiric?) or even a fridge. Kick the fridge anyway. Otherise i bet it is a little hatch buzzing so open them all up. Or some cutlery or a glass where you repacked the cupboards. Ooh, it's beginning to annoy me now.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hillyarder

Visit site

small child and plastic electronic toy. spent hours looking for an engine noise only to find it was barbies mobile phone.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Further investigations...

Take a hacksaw and some drillbits - I think you'll find a YardVole has got into the mast during the winter and is trying to attract your attention. A starter or pilot hole then a 2" diameter hole should be enough to let it out - do it near the bottom, the poor thing will be sat on top of the mast plug just now - you could try to push a few bits of seed through the sheave before you start drilling because it will get quite anxious once the HS twist bit starts to bite.
Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jimi

Visit site
Re: Further investigations...

Betcha it woz ra prop rotating!

Oh see Bob's already said that ... oops
<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jimi on 06/05/2003 18:25 (server time).</FONT></P>