EPRIB or PLB

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I went and bought a fast find 210 with gps, as it had been well reviewed in the sailing press. You get free 1 year membership to the rnli, its water proof. On the box there is even a picture of a chap in a canoe. Stocked by loads of chandlers.

In small print it also says "Not recommended for use on or in water" ???????? Why are they selling it to sailors then!

Has anyone any experience or recommendation, as I assume you only get to find out how good they are when you are in deep trouble.

Graham
"plan for the worst hope for the best"

C

Chrusty1

"In small print it also says "Not recommended for use on or in water" ???????? Why are they selling it to sailors then!"

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Made my day!

Tahitibelle

Visit site
Having used my EPIRB in anger last summer on passage towards the Uk from the Azores, I would suggest that for a single hander a PLB should not be at the top of ones priority list. The first priority is Liferaft, second equal is a full size EPIRB preferably but not necessarily with integrated GPS, third is a SART. You should have a VHF DSC radio mounted near the companionway reachable from the cockpit and with a loudspeaker extension so you can hear what is being said in extreme weather noise. Also have a hand held waterproof VHF radio that you can put in your oilskins pocket. Then if you have any money left get a 406 PLB for your grab bag. Mount the EPIRB just inside the cabin to prevent it being washed over the side and sending a false alarm in heavy seas. Make a promise to your partner before you leave that you will wear a safety harness at all times day and night and never leave the cabin without clipping on.

C

Chrusty1

[ QUOTE ]
A sailor is one who floats on water... but never touches the stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's the theory! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Never take the stuff internally, fish pee in it you know!

zlod

Visit site
Hi Barham>

What don't you like about a PLB? I've got a McMurdo Fastfind (which I think counts as a PLB), has GPS and a good battery life. I don't get what the benefit of an EPIRB that stays with the boat is when it's me that I'm most concerned about (when single handing).

Or is there is wooly definition of what a PLB is?

Zlod

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
I too opted for the McMurdo Fastfind, reading the wee leaflet the week points are.

It does not float, yes put a float on it or a lanyard (McM are bringing out a float for it)

It will not float the correct way up. It will need to float on it's back so the gps transmitter points up. You will need to hold it for a long time or have a nifty floating device to do it for you. (I will be working on this one)

EPIRB will do all this (I assume) it need not be attached to the boat you can take it with you. In an abandon ship type scenario.

The fast find you can keep in your pocket at all times ( handy if you fall overboard or a quick sink.
Graham

Visit site
I went the PLB route and had a GME MT410 attatched to me throughout the trip. It doesn't have GPS but as I had SPOT as well I felt that I was covering my options. My wife says that because it is about the right size for a shark to swallow without damage, it should be possible to find the culprit and thank him personally!
(ps It's up for sale by the way as I don't have much use for it on the Inland waterways!...the epirb not the shark!!)