Epoxy treatment - Is it worth it ?

G

Epoxy treatment

Hamish,

I live in Belgium and have always recieved exellent advice from my local 'International' dealer. He even measured the moisture in my hull on a regular basis as a pre-sale service, and advised me when to start treatment. International also provide a technical booklet on product application.

If you E-Mail me I'll give you his tel. no. So that he may advise you directly or give you the name of somebody local to yourself.

In my experience, I would minimally use primacon primer before applying antifouling. It is in itself a very good sealant. I would then remove the anifouling/primer in two years time, and allow it to dry through the Winter before applying 5 or six coats of epoxy. (I use mostly VC tar or Awlgrip, but its just a personnal preference.) This delay will allow you sailing time while you research good facilities, advice and product. I think that its essential to dry modern sailing boats on a regular basis and application of epoxy is an ideal osmosis prevention treatment. But it should be done properly.

Regards,

Gaz.

G

Another one of my projects this winter was to remove 12 years worth of antifouling from my Moody 31 (1988) and I have asked around for advice on what to do next. Tempted to give it 'the works' and apply a course of Gelshield layers before re-antifouling but cost and effort are puting me off. Not being sure if the hull has to be TOTALLY antifoul free before applying the epoxy is also a down side. Most people suggest that I just key the gelcoat with wet and dry then apply the new antifouling directly ( no primer ? ). I have every confidence in the Moody hull for being osmosis resistant and I do dry out 6 months every year ....... but having gone to the trouble ( and mess ) to scrape off the antifouling, and not likely to do it again for some time, I would not like to miss the best chance I will have to apply Gelshield. Has anyone been there ? How much cost and effort ( coats ) would it require ? Does the hull have to be absolutely cleaned back to a gleaming gelcoat ? Is it all worth it ? Would appreciate some feedback please.

G

A couple of things that may be of interest: Firstly, any epoxy coating must be applied directly to the prepared gel coat which is free of any other preparation as the adhesion of epoxy can only be as good as the underlying coat. Secondly, it is important that moisture meter readings are taken to ensure the hull is appropriate for sealing with epoxy. Moisture readings must be acceptable if the time and money spent is going to give a good return. You may find some further info of use on my web site www.turbolink.co.uk and look for marine surveyor page where you will find more info on osmosis etc John Lilley