epoxy on old timber

meldrum

Visit site
About a year ago I removed the paint from the decks of my plywood 44 year old waterwitch. To allow it to dry out and to carry out repairs. I have carried out the repairs and I have now removed the toe rails (what a @(&^^$$£$ JOb) I intend to rebed the toe rails in epoxy and coat the decks with blakes woodseal before repainting. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible or wether it would be better to coat the decks completely with epoxy. I am concerned about the fact that the deck ply is 44 years old and it would be difficult to achieve the moisture content for using epoxy and have been recommended to use the woodseal instead.

ccscott49

Visit site
You could use waterbased epoxy, available from Trad boats, in Beccles, that would be preferable, IMHO.
You could use standard epoxy to bed the toerails, they are compatable, but "dewax" the toerail epoxy before applying the waterbased, with acetone or even meths.

joeirish

Visit site
I recently used a water based epoxy that is not dependent on wood being dry. It is called resolcoat and is available from UK supplies including, I think, Traditonal marine supplies who advertise in Classic Boat mag. I put onto damp ply and it really worked hardening up the soft wood.

Joe

DownWest

Visit site
The stuff is Resoltech and sold in Uk by Connexion Technology Ltd. I use it all the time and can Highly recommend it.
A
The water based product is Re 1010-really good ( and no, I don´t work for them. Good back up from english speaking export manager.)

Headbone

Visit site
Seconded.

I am using Resolcoat when bondong panels of ply face to face, when the moisture content is a little above the recommended for standard epoxy adhesion.

Two coats of Resolcoat to each of the mating surfaces, then proceed with the standard epoxy as normal.

Observe the advisory notes vis-a-vis time gaps between Resolcoat and epoxy adhesive.

The chap at Connexion Technology knows his products, and if my experience, as a very occasional customer, is anything to go by, will be delighted to help.

Simes

Visit site
Having read this thread last week I contacted Trad Boat and purchased 4 Kilos of Relolcoat 1010.It does what it says on the can. What a fantastis result.
I am suffering from a very wet ply deck. It needs sheathing but with no dry weather to carry out the West Sytem. Over three day I coated the deck with three coats of 1010 and we are now a leak free zone down below. A further coat will go on tonight and a fourth and , no make thet fith, coat will go on tomorrow.
I think that this will become the standard for all wood coating, prior to paint, varnish or fixing onboard Talisman from now on.
Many ythanks for the reccomendation.

Simes

Stella08

www.apolloduck.co.uk
Simes, interesting that you painted straight onto the deck. I've got a few cracks here and there in my my canvas deck and am struggling to decide what to do. Did you just paint this stuff over the top of your deck paint?