EPIRBs & Personal Locator Beacons

ACE

Visit site
Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs) & Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs)

With so many available on the market today, lots of choice in size from large to small, some affordable and some extortionate I wondered what the most popular choice was… ?

Do you have one on board if so which one and why that particular model and if not why not ?

benjenbav

Visit site
I have a McMurdo FastFind MaxG plb (which has gps).

The gps function was sold to me on the basis of cutting down the time to find the beacon.

I hope I don't have to find out whether it works. But it seemed like a good bit of insurance for the price (about £300 - I think).

jfm

Visit site
I have a McMurdo FastFind MaxG plb (which has gps).

The gps function was sold to me on the basis of cutting down the time to find the beacon.

I hope I don't have to find out whether it works. But it seemed like a good bit of insurance for the price (about £300 - I think).
+1
I don't know which is better or worse but McMurdo is a BIG name in this sector and good quality, so a safe choice
Definitely get the GPS version
These things are a great idea - did you see tha story the other day about the canoeists who got rescued?
Keep in your pocket when night sailing. Even if you fall overboard underway (in warm waters) you will be sure to be rescued

JAR

Visit site
Have the ACR GlobalFix PRO 406 GPS EPIRB (Cat II)
bigger style for the grab bag also a good name in this sector but not saying better or worse, as mentioned GPS is a must IMO, but i also like the idea of a fit in your pocket style as the Mcmurdo.