Entering the Crouch in a F5 Westerly

Captain Crisp

Visit site
I'm a bit late jumping on to this thread but thought I would share my experience of yesterday (10th) entering The Crouch on a rising tide into a SW 4-5 (possibly occasional F6). I was in my Sadler 26 with a single reef in the main and a partly furled genoa. I had mistakenly thought that the Whitaker channel would be a better option than the Swallowtail. I have a decent (new) engine but despite having to tack, sailing was a better option than punching into the waves under engine. It was a very wet and violent sail with the occasional large pair of waves that that would suddenly appear. My auto helm was unable to cope so going below was not an option without going hove-to which I did once. There had been a strong wind warning for the area but I had thought the approach would be relatively tame given the protection of the land. Not so. Coming out of there today was a totally different experience. Relatively flat water, SW 2-3 and nav buoys that you could spot without difficulty. The lesson I learned yesterday was the value of doing lots of preparation for what is really pilotage. I had relied on being able to spot buoys in good time to check the course etc but in the face of that sort of wild sea picking out buoys was really hard especially when tacking. All good fun - especially in hindsight! In complete contrast, overnight in Yokesfleet Creek was deserted, peaceful and very relaxing.

David Morgan
That's really interesting to read... I thought it might be a bit like that in those conditions. Glad I chickened out!

PeterWright

Visit site
The Whittaker and Swallowtail channels are always like that in a fresh SW breeze over the flood, it's folly to expect much shelter from a sea wall barely 2m above HW with the land behind it often lower than the sea. Of course, it can be worse taking the ebb out of the river in an equally fresh NE breeze.

Peter.