Ensign

BobGiles

www.designright.co.uk
ok one and all.

i have heard tell that you are alowed to fly a blue ensign if you are ex forces....does anyone know if this is true.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vara

Visit site
True if you are ex forces who also happens to be a member of an organisation which is able to issue warrants.
But being ex forces on it's own does not give you any entitlement.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Whichever service you belonged to has its own sailing association. You will have to apply, and be seconded, to the association for a warrant to fly a blue ensign, but there are stipulations - one being boat length or size (cannot remember which), and to be SSR'ed.

The warrant is usually only valid for 5 or 6 years at a time, and when flying the blue ensign, you are obliged to fly the burgee of that association.

The RNSA (for RN and RM) is blue undefaced; the RAF is light blue with a roundal; I am not sure about the Army.

Talbot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure about the Army.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm understandable really /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The army blue ensign is also defaced!

bullen

Visit site
The RAF YC is dark blue,defaced, The RAF SA is light blue,defaced. Both must be flown with a light blue burgee with roundel and the owner of yacht must have warrant.

tringa

Visit site
Undeface blue

[ QUOTE ]
I stand corrected. I knew it was defaced with something but could'nt remember with what.

So it appears that the only undefaced services sailing association/club blue ensign, is the RNSA.

.....or am I wrong there??

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the RNVR Sailing Association.

pappaecho

Visit site
Royal Engineers Yacht Club Ensign is white, cos it was formed 5 years before the Royal Yacht Squadron, and they thought that a white ensign looked nice. Unfortunately RYS members get a bit pissed off cos they thought they were on the only ones allowed to fly it