Enough is enough

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I am somewhat dismayed that the Forum issue (see Kims - Suggestion thread ) has raised its head again whilst I (and others I think) are still reeling from last weeks marathon argument.

I have in the past been one of those in favour of sending the 'must have a laugh brigade' off to some sort of creche where they can play without upsetting the grown-ups. However, this forum is titled Motor Boat CHAT and this seeems to be what is actually happening.....lots of chat but difficult sometimes to see the practical stuff.

Now, if I like doing my own servicing etc., presumably this makes me a PRACTICAL Boat Owner and maybe that forum is where I should be asking my practical questions? And maybe in that forum a little gentle humour occasionally would not be out of place (and might even be welcome) but I wouldnt expect it to become a CHAT room cos its not called that ....right?

And maybe if Kim could bring back the Electronics (and poss combine with Mechanicals) Forum (cos I miss it) then the Motor Boat Chat Forum could be left alone and we could all decide for ourselves where we prefer to be and life could get back to being more peaceful and relaxing which is what boating is supposed to be all about....................

Whatever, its time for Kim et al to make a decision and have done with it.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Agree

It seems to me that the forums are generally mixed up. People just seem to post anything anywhere. Scuttlebutt has become a general discussion on anything serious to frivolous and hard to see any difference to subjects posted in R to R. Motor Boaat Chat seems to have taken over from scuttlebutt. Bring back mechanicals-electronics, keep scuttlebutt pure scuttlebutt and have a motorboat forum and a yachting forum. And what the heck is the use of a FUEL PRICE FORUM ????

Methinks that it tome to create mischief again and try to affect some sense to all this.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Electronics and salami

We've been here before, last week, on the pros/cons of salami slicing forums into subjects. Most posters didn't want it.

But hey let's at least argue with proper facts. There are loads of electronics posts on MBC, and all get proper answers. I challenge anyone to find an electronic post that hasn't received helpful/technical answers. If you have an electronic question, go ahead and post it, see what happens. :)

jfm

Visit site
Hang on JJT.....

The fuel forum only started after last season was closing down, so give it this summer before passing judgement. Lots of people asked/suggested it be created, not fair to yell at Kim saying it's no use. It does no harm, it is only a slice of the salami, clearly marked so you dont have to go there if you dont like it, but let it run for 2002.

tcm

Visit site
Re: hello jjt

obviously people see the forums differently. Fuel price is very relevant if you use the stuff in large volume, not so for sailboats just a fill up now and again.

I think that they may as well start the forums as they fit, and kill them off if they don't get going with enough posts to make it worth a visit. Bit of policing about "runtime errors" and such, too.

I don't have a prob with lighthearted stuff, mostly. Motorboat chat, I thought, was to be scuttlebut for powerboats, no? The sbutt that you mourned had all sorts of stuff on it.