Engines included.....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
A post below remined me of a wheeze that boat dealers/manufacturers like to play.

You buy a brand new boat, which obviously comes with engines. Your contract is with the dealer/manufacturer for the purchase of the boat. You do not have a separate contract with Volvo/Mercruiser, etc for the purchase of the engines.

Therefore, when the engines break the dealer should arrange for them to be fixed. It is not your problem and you shouldn't let them bully you into dealing direct with Volvo or whoever else.

Whilst we are at it I also get a bit annoyed with the 'tighten you own belts attitude'. If I spent £100,000 on a new car and the belts started to whine would a car dealer expect me to tighten them myself? Would he hell!

G

Re: 100% agreed

an not just the engines. I got a whole big stack of manuals ("you can ring them direct, but make sure you fill in the warranty cards..") with a F'line. Evidently not a fairline boat at all, but in fact a delivery of assorted other equipment, delivered in a big plastic bucket that says Fairline on the side, delivered Fairline who (if you're lucky) didn't violate the installation instructions or warranty conditions. Imagine if you bought a vacuum cleaner and had to ring up the belt manufactirer, the bag manuf, and so on if anything went wrong? A total swiz.

G

I fully agree with you..but you are forgettign one important thing.

The marine industry seems to ahve the view that if you own a boat of any kind then you must be loaded. This being the case they think that you have so much money that you will pay somebody to fix it and not bother them as they are far to important to deal with the likes of you..as they will surley have even more money than you..!!!

Just walk into a camping shop...take a look around..then walk into any chandlery....i rest my case..!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Contractually, of course, you're right. Your contract is with the dealer or whoever supplied the boat and it is their contractual responsibility to ensure the warranty is honoured. Personally, I would resort to physical violence if I was fobbed off in this way!

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
I agree the dealer/manufacturer of the boat boat should take care of any problems.
After all if the dealer bought a new car and it had a charging fault, he'd expect the car dealer to correct it, he wouldn't expect to have to contact Lucas.