Engineroom fire extinguishers

G

So I'm supposed to replace the good old automatic BCF ones with something more "environmentally friendly" - but not exactly engine friendly, it seems. The only ones currently available appear to be powder or foam, which I don't want to use because of the risk of engine damage during an accidental discharge. This is more common than a real fire. Does anybody know who is currently making inert gas filled fire extinguishers? I hear talk of Pyrogen but can't find anybody who sells the stuff.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Dunno about that but you gotta have the ones the BSS reccomend even if they ain't as good as the ones you have already. I just happen to have three brand new ones for sale at half price each. I bought them to pass the BSS but as the Inspector said what I have already is superior I just put them there til she passed the test. Email me byrona@royal.net if you are interested.

ô¿ô

G

There is nothing in the BSS requiring engine room fire extinguishers, and there is nothing in BSS to say that you have to remove or replace BCF / Halon extinguishers. Your boat cannot fail because it has Halon extinguishers on board, and it cannot fail if it has no engine room extinguishers.

The BSS merely requires that you have the right number of suitably approved, suitably maintained portable extinguishers of suitable fire rating, located in readily accessible positions adjacent to fire risk points, plus a suitable fire blanket near the cooker.

aztec

Visit site
hi, guys .can't agree more, there is however one "but" after december 2002 i'm told it will become illegal to discharge a halon type extinguisher. the only exceptions are to be police officers for personal safety, and aircraft that have these systems fitted.

Bergman

Visit site
Don't understand

Policemen for personal safety

Never knew policemen were inflammable.

Is there a preferred means of ignition. Always reckoned they generated more heat than light but not that much.

Thought they carried big sticks and machine guns for personal safety.

Is Halon like the gas thingys they spray in peoples faces?

Worrying situation

miket

Visit site
However..........

Check your boat insurance.
Mine (Haven) stipulates that auto fire exitnguishers are OBLIGATORY.

Diesel boat, top speed 27 kts, based Solent.