Engine Replacement (circa 28 HP)

Heckler

Visit site
I agree with Grehan, the Kubota base is in loads of tractors mini diggers and construction plant, so Beta gets my vote and they are very helpful. In addition in a slightly different form (for the pedants on here) they also power a great many of the French built chiller trucks, so spares are really easy to get hold of.
So is the VP 20X0! series. They are based on the Perkins engine fitted to thousands of plant!
S

Sybarite

Visit site
Nothing will be a straight replacement, and almost certainly you will end up replacing most of the ancilliaries anyway because if the engine has done 5000 hours you would not want to use them on a new engine. So, the only fixed point is the shaft as everything else can be (relatively) easily changed.

So look for a package that fits the space (most will), has the service points accessible in your application, gives you an appropriate choice on things like gearbox ratio, alternator size and key things like exhaust outlet and control brackets are in suitable places.

There is very little to choose among the main players in terms of performance, economy, reliability or life as they are all based on Japanese industrial engines. There are however differences in the marinisation which generally speaking is the bit that gives problems on boats - waterpumps, heat exchangers, exhausts etc. You will also find that spec for spec there is very little difference in price for a complete installation.

Which to choose often depends on things like availability of service and spares plus ease of installation if you are doing it yourself - or a reliable installer if paying for it.

And, of course colour, as they are all different so you need to co-ordinate with the colour scheme of your boat.

FWIIW I chose a Nanni to replace a Yanmar using the criteria above and luckily it is blue to go with the boat, but would have stayed with Yanmar except that their equivalent would not have fitted the space.

When I was looking at a possible replacement for a 50hp Perkins the diesel mechanic told me that Lombardinis were a direct slot in and that they didn't have any more problems with them compared with the better known models. Just what he said; I have no personal knowledge of them.