Engine problem

mick

Visit site
Yesterday I fitted a converter kit to change my old CAV fuel filter for a Racor spin-on. I bled the engine (1 year old Beta 13.5) and it started instantly, ran for a few minutes, and cut out. I bled it again and this time all seemed fine, the engine running for 25 minutes without a hitch. The boat was launched today and at first the engine wouldn't start. After a few tries it started and seemed fine. Motoring the 2 miles from boatyard to mooring the revs would intermittently drop and then recover. I stopped the engine, waited an hour and started it again, this time without a problem. Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem. The engine did 130 trouble-free hours last season.

morgandlm

Visit site
My guess is air in the system. It's probably all out now but depending on the complexity of the piping system it can be a devil to shift.
Morgan

mflynn1971

Visit site
Where is the filter located. I fitted a racor unit in the engine bay of our 26 recently I noticed that the fuel line came in over the side wall of the engine bay which is fairly high. With anything less than about half a tank this loop in the line is higher than fuel level so it wont be easily bled. For this reason I fitted one of those outboard type fuel priming bulbs between copper fuel line and filter. Very quick to bleed now.

Mike

Kawasaki

Visit site
I really think the Racon needs to be below the tank for a succesfull bleed.
Mine is I have just had to change the filter and clean the bowl.
No probs bleeding.
I too think there is an air problem

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Used to have a similar problem. Was worse when the tank was less than half full, so, 'clever' me, I thought that it must be drawing air in when sailing heeled.
Replaced the hoseclips on the flexible pipes going to and from the Racor and made sure that this time they were properly tightened.
Have not had that problem again - so far! (What's the smiley for crossed fingers?)
Good Luck!

andy_wilson

Visit site
Almost certainly a minor air leak in the suction side of the fuel system (before lift pump).

Whilst it is not incoceivable that a filter should or should not be above or below tank (or at least fuel) level, on the basis that ALL diesel systems are closed beyond the surface of fuel in the tank, it shouldn't matter a jot.

Your symptoms point to air ingress. This is usually accompanied by a miniscule diesel leak when not running, but at least you know where you have been working, so you know where to start looking.

A coloured tissue or serviette is a good tool to disclose diesl leaks.

dickh

Visit site
Definitely an air leak somwhere. I had a similar problem on my Beta 25 last year after only 50 hours. Check all the unions, and bleed each injector by cracking the union nut. Was advised by Beta agent in UK(I was in Holland at the time) that the Beta's are prone to trap an air bubble in the injector line. Not sure how true this is but I checked all the unions right back to the tank and bled each injector. Seemed to do the trick, ran at ¾ throttle for an hour whilst on a pontoon - no problem since.