Engine problem -help!!

HappyHunter

Visit site
Setting off from Campers yesterday in my (to me) new Hunter Horizon 30 for a motor round the harbour, there was a distinct thud from below, followed by a real loss of power and very oily and smoky exhaust. I limped back to the mooring and just before I arrived things seemed to get better. I set off again, and all seemed fine, although there just may be a little less than full power being developed. I have a prop-cutter fitted and wondered if I had got something caught round the prop which then freed itself. As a non-technical person I'd be very grateful for any views which anyone might have, and whether I should be getting worried!

Trilogy

Visit site
Sounds like something round the prop to me. I had exactly the same experience a year ago. Luckily it was a bit warmer so I went swimming to have a look. There was nothing visible.

If the engine seems OK now, I would just keep a vigilant eye on the oil (engine & gearbox) and any unusual vibration.

Good Luck

Nick

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Black Smoke

If you motor is a diesel, black smoke is a good sign of too coarse a propellor and the engine being overloaded [obviously not the case as you did not change the propellor] thus probably fouling of the propellor causing the engine to overload. Most likely cause. Hence the thump and if your prop-cutter did its job then the improvement you mentioned. However you may still have something fouling the propellor and causing small loss of performance. It takes very little to have this effect. So unless you pull your boat out, then maybe you have to get things examined in the water. No problem if you are in the tropics, but in your case, brrrrr.

HappyHunter

Visit site
Thank you both very much - its comforting to know that my first guess was probably right. There's an undoubted "oh my god what I have forgotten to do" when these things happen, and forums like these are a great way to get reassurance!

On balance, I shan't be jumping into Portsmouth Harbour for a look, but may try to dry out somewhere local. Does anyone have any ideas?

Trilogy

Visit site
The scrubbing posts at Itchenor in Chichester Harbour are about 3 hours away from you. It cost me £12.50 for a day last year, and if you time things right, you can fit in a nice meal at the pub.

Nick

SteveC

Visit site
I had exactly same problem passing through small boat channel of Pompey Harbour. Pulled into Campers and prodded around and got evidence of heavy duty plastic around prop. It cleared itself but with some loss of power. As I'm based at Fareham (top of harbour (45mins)) I put her on drying mooring and spent an hour or so clearing. Campers used to have drying posts but think they disappeared with new development taking place. Your nearest is 5 minutes away in Portsmouth Camber. As you enter take right hand direction where you'll see public slip - put boat against wall to your right (sorry stb)
Stevec

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: Black Smoke

Definitely sounds like you've picked up something round your prop and your stripper has done its job. Two things. Are you a bilge keeler ? If so there's always the beach at East Head in Chichester Harbour to dry out for free. Next time you're on your boat , you might try alternatively engaging the engine into forward then reverse. It might free anything that's left on your prop.

andy_wilson

Visit site
1. Have a good session of long blasts in forward and reverse, whilst tied along side iff possible. Just keep an eye on the prop wash for debris. We had a similar experience and counted three different colours and thicknesses of polypropelene rope emerging.

2. Dry out / lift out (if wealthy) and take a look. Plastics can weld around the boss and need chiselling off.

3. Check your p-bracket closely, if it has suffered a shock it may have been loosened.

G

Campers used to have a slip you could dry out on but perhaps that has changed since the re-development started! Anyway if Itchenor doesn't work out for you then there is always Bosham (also in Chichester harbour), very scenic too.

Good luck,

Dave

Other threads that may be of interest