Engine paint

G

Ah, the winter approaches. If painting the engine is on your list of jobs, think hard about using the manufacturers paint. Volvo paint is about 25GBP a litre..absolute daylight robbery. But.. when you come to sell the boat, the purchaser will see a neat, apparently well kept and original-looking unit nestling there which may well make the difference between a sale and not.

I rebuild a couple of motors a year, to keep my hand in, and endeavour to return the motor in original colours where possible. A litre usually does three engines.

Alternatively, does anyone know a paint that is a very close match to Volvo's?

KCA

Visit site
You can get....

..an EXACT match. Just take the can (or even a small component painted in it) to your local car finish trade paint supplier (Brown Bros are good) and they will match it at a fraction of the cost and you will have a choice of acrylic, cellulose or two pack.

I resprayed an Evinrude 50 in Evinrude blue (1973) which I had made in two pack polyeurothane which I sprayed on top of etch primer. Superb finish and it looked good for years.

Steve Cronin

G

Re: You can get....

Good call Steve, I've used Brown Brothers before...should have thought of them!!

Cheers!

B

bob_tyler

Re: You can get....

Surely on an inboard engine there may be a problem with heat? Perhaps a radiator (domestic) paint might be better - Hammerite? Might not be the right colour though.

mbl

Visit site
I have a green volvo penta 2003 which needs touch up painting in a couple of places where there is some surface rust.
Volvo wanted 26GBP for an aerosol that was less than a litre.
Is there anything special about boat paint - any rust inhibiting properties or will any paint suffice ?
Also, any tips for preparation ?

thanks,
mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Hammerite, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread is a popular choice and readily available. You can mix colours to obtain a better colour match if you want.

For best results, despite the rust tolerance claimed for Hammerite, remove all rust by mechanical means (chipping if necessary) and the use of a rust remover (Hammerite) and use the Hammerite primer.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Ne te confundant illegitimi.</font color=purple>

celandine

Visit site
One problem with Hammerite

One problem with Hammerite is that when it first became popular 20 years or so ago, loads of people went round painting all kinds of rusty old pieces of junk with it, and in those days it did seem to make said pieces of junk look quite smart - hammered finish etc. But now, having seen so much of it at boat jumbles etc., whenever I see the distinctive Hammerite effect I just think - another rusty old piece of junk.

I have used the Q.D range of metal paints with good effect on engines. Ideally mask off all its little orifices and have it grit blasted.

Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Re: One problem with Hammerite

I should have said use the smooth version: Smoothrite. Then it won't look like an old rusty and worthless bit of junk that someone has tarted up with Hammerite!

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Ne te confundant illegitimi.</font color=purple>