Engine Mounts Replacement

Fulmarjon

Visit site
Boat needs new engine mounts. I can’t do it myself. One company said the engine would have to be hoisted out before it could be done (megabucks!) whilst another said it’s possible to do it in situ (which, I gather from reading past threads is the case). Anyone had it done professionally and what is a ballpark figure of what I could expect to pay.? It’s a Volvo 2002 engine.
Any recommendations? Shes at Lymington.

Many thanks

chubby

www.flickr.com
I had it done by my local marine engineer who did it in situ by disconnecting the prop shaft coupling and levering up the engine enough to get to the mounts in turn...was mixed in amongst a service but not expensive.

Supertramp

Visit site
+1 for doing it in stu. I used a scissor car jack and blocks of wood, doing a pair at each end in turn. But not all engines have enough clearance so crowbar or lifting might suit better. Aligning is a black art but again not that hard. It took me a full day the first time I did it.

laika

Visit site
A 2002 is roughly the same size as my 3jh4. West Marine in Brighton did mine in situ. I don’t remember how much but labour for a job very well done was reasonable compared with the surprisingly expensive cost of the mounts themselves

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I did mine two months ago , 2030 MD you can do it in situ which is how I did mine ,
mine was quite difficulty because the way the mounts base bolts where placed
it took me a couple of days but I could had done them in a day .
i guess if they charge £40 ph even for a days work the labour alone going to set you back a few bob .

Lightwave395

Visit site
I replaced mine one at a time, using a crowbar resting on a block of wood to lift each corner just enough to be able to slide the old out and the new in.
That's exactly how I did mine, with a couple of different sized blocks of wood and disconnecting the shaft (Yanmar 3YM30).
Choked on the cost of Yanmar parts so bought mine from Parts4engines

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I did it myself many years ago. It was a 2002 in a Sadler 29. Disconnected the coupling as I was replacing shaft, coupling, and cutless bearing at the same time. Then wound up the old mounts as high as they could go, pushed some timber blocks and wedges under the engine to take the weight. Then wound down the mounts to get the weight off them and I had enough room to wriggle the old mounts out and the new ones in. Don't forget to slacken or disconnect all the pipes and cables from the engine. I forgot the engine earth cable and had a complete electrical failure a few weeks later!

ibbo

Visit site
If it's a Fulmar, I did mine recently with blocks/ scissor jack. The engine mount unbolted from the block allowing the replacement without disconnecting the shaft.
Not a whole lot of room though.
It has been suggested that air bags would be better to lift the motor.

Mike

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To be honsty unless it’s a big engine all you need is a lump of 2x2 that will lift it high enough then stick a chock of wood under the sump .
@ ibbo just wondering how do you know it’s lined up if you didn’t disconnect the shaft coupling ?

ibbo

Visit site
To be honsty unless it’s a big engine all you need is a lump of 2x2 that will lift it high enough then stick a chock of wood under the sump .
@ ibbo just wondering how do you know it’s lined up if you didn’t disconnect the shaft coupling ?
Hi,
I counted the same amount of threads on the mounting, and the shaft was in the centre of the seal when the new mount was fitted.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I did it myself many years ago. It was a 2002 in a Sadler 29. Disconnected the coupling as I was replacing shaft, coupling, and cutless bearing at the same time. Then wound up the old mounts as high as they could go, pushed some timber blocks and wedges under the engine to take the weight. Then wound down the mounts to get the weight off them and I had enough room to wriggle the old mounts out and the new ones in. Don't forget to slacken or disconnect all the pipes and cables from the engine. I forgot the engine earth cable and had a complete electrical failure a few weeks later!
Just remembered that the mounts attach to brackets that are bolted to the rear of the engine. So you don't have to lift the engine right off the mounts. Once the weight is off the mounts you can remove the brackets and the old mounts together then fit the new mounts to the brackets and bolt the brackets back to the engine.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi,
I counted the same amount of threads on the mounting, and the shaft was in the centre of the seal when the new mount was fitted.
Cool but just so you know I did the same I also marked the foot print ,
when the new once was fittered I found the coupling was out quit a bit ,
I still have to at some point dry out and remove the seal to-check if the shaft is in the middle of the tube .